Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Deals ‘worth $80M’ signed at China-Asean expo

Deals ‘worth $80M’ signed at China-Asean expo

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Prime Minister Hun Sen shakes hands with China’s First Vice-Premier Han Zheng at the China-Asean Expo in Nanning last week. facebook

Deals ‘worth $80M’ signed at China-Asean expo

As the China-Asean Expo drew to a close last week in Nanning, China, many left with the feeling that the Kingdom will forge stronger cooperation with the Asian powerhouse.

In fact, several memoranda of understanding (MoU) were signed between Cambodia and major mainland Chinese investors.

On the sidelines of the four-day event, Prime Minister Hun Sen met with eight Chinese corporate leaders, including Lei Jun, the founding chairman and CEO of smartphone maker Xiaomi.

Twelve MoUs were signed between trade officials of the two nations aimed at boosting ties, according to a news release late Thursday from the Kingdom’s Ministry of Commerce.

Twelve deals

While the release didn’t explain the details of each memorandum of understanding (MoU), it said the total value of all 12 amounted to $80 million and covered many sectors, including tourism, engineering, airport construction, and research and training facilities.

The Ministry of Commerce spokesman could not be reached for comment about the deals on Sunday.

Cambodia Chamber of Commerce vice-president Lim Heng who had joined the Expo said on Sunday that more Chinese investors were showing interest in the Kingdom’s potential, and several of them had met Cambodian leaders in China.

“After this event, there will be higher inflows of Chinese investment and a further boosting of trade between Cambodia and China,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Breaking: Rubbish found packed inside 83 containers at S'ville port

    Eighty-three containers packed with rubbish were broken open at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port by joint authorities on Tuesday. The origin of the containers has yet to be ascertained, Ministry of Environment spokesman Neth Pheaktra said. Pheaktra, who is also the ministry’s secretary of state, said

  • Some jobs off limits to foreigners from August

    Beginning from the second week of August, foreigners will be banned from driving taxis and tuk-tuks, as well as being motorcycle delivery drivers, street food vendors, hairdressers and product distributors among other lower-income jobs. Some white-collar jobs such as the head of human resources will