Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Extracting the dollar figures

Extracting the dollar figures

Extracting the dollar figures

COMPANIES involved in Cambodia’s extractive industries have revealed further information about controversial payments to the government, as more detailed revenue figures showed the state received more than 9 billion riels (US$2.25 million) from the sector last year.

Following an announcement by Australian miner BHP Billiton that it was conducting an internal investigation of possible graft violations widely believe to have taken place in Cambodia, the French energy giant Total responded this week to revelations made by Prime Minister Hun Sen last month that it had paid $28 million as part of a deal for offshore Area III in October.

The figure appeared to contradict an official disclosure by a Ministry of Economy and Finance official in March that showed payments of $26 million were paid in January, but Total spokeswoman Phenelope Semavoine said by email Tuesday that the additional $2 million “will be made at a later date”.

She added that Total would co-manage a social fund programme for education and health in the Kingdom, without giving further details.

Total’s response comes on the heels of a report indicating that the government received $1.45 million from the mining sector and $800,000 from the oil and gas industry last year, the first year the government has made public official payments from the extractives industries.

Although the government still has not published complete 2009 revenues from the sector as part of TOFE (state financial operations notice) on the Finance Ministry website, the Post obtained a presentation from last month’s Oxfam America conference that showed the full-year payments.

Chevron spokesman Gareth Johnstone declined to comment Thursday on whether the US firm had made similar payments to the state as part of its involvement in offshore Block A, citing “contractual arrangements” and “commercially confidential information”.

Southern Gold, which is exploring for minerals in western Cambodia, said late Wednesday it had not made any payments to the government as part of its concession agreements.

“We have good relationship[s] with our joint-venture partners and have regular audits, doubled when we consider our JV partners audits and checks,” Cambodia representative Grant Thomas said by email.

“We at Southern Gold do not pay those types of payments [or] fees.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Rainsy will return at ‘favourable time’

    Opposition figure Sam Rainsy on Saturday suggested he would not return to Cambodia as he had previously promised, saying that like liberators King Father Norodom Sihanouk and Charles de Gaulle, he would only do so at a “favourable time”. “I will go back to Cambodia

  • Temi tourism project approved by the CDC

    The $500.4 million Tourism, Ecological, Marine and International (Temi) tourism project has been approved by the Council for the Development of Cambodia (CDC), according to a notice on its Facebook page on Monday. The project is part of Chinese-owned Union City Development Group Co Ltd’s (

  • US Embassy urged to stop ‘disrespecting sovereignty’

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation called on the US Embassy in Phnom Penh on Saturday to respect the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations after it called former opposition leader Kem Sokha “an innocent man” – a move deemed to be “disrespecting Cambodia’s

  • NagaWorld casino sees net profit of more than $390M last year

    Phnom Penh’s NagaWorld casino posted a 53 per cent net profit increase last year at $390.6 million, a sum which is almost equal to the combined net profit of all Cambodian commercial banks in 2017. NagaWorld’s parent company, NagaCorp Ltd, is listed on the Hong Kong