Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Fears for tourism during rally

Fears for tourism during rally

Visitors to the Angkor Archaeological Park in Siem Reap navigate the temple complex
Visitors to the Angkor Archaeological Park in Siem Reap navigate the temple complex. Sreng Meng Srun

Fears for tourism during rally

The opposition’s planned demonstration in Siem Reap next month could affect the tourism industry in Cambodia’s most important visitor destination, the government and industry representatives said yesterday.

Cambodian Tourism Minister Thong Khon told the Post that the Cambodia National Rescue Party’s (CNRP) December 10 rally could have “huge” consequences for both residents and businesses, particularly if tensions escalated.

“I was told that some tour operators have received trip cancellations from their clients, especially from Vietnamese tourists, who are the number-one visitors to Cambodia,” he said.

Khon said he did not object to the CNRP protesting but said the opposition should avoid Cambodia’s most popular tourist spot, Angkor Wat, so tourists were not disrupted.

The CNRP is refusing to acknowledge the results of the July 28 election, calling for an independent investigation into the poll it says was marred by voter irregularities. Since the election the party has held a series of “massive non-violent demonstrations” in the capital.

An announcement was made last week to move the December 10 rally – scheduled on the annual Human Rights Day holiday – from the capital to Siem Reap. Details are still being worked through, but the CNRP expects to attract 10,000 people from nearby provinces.

Ho Vandy, co-chair of the Tourism Private Sector Working Group, said yesterday private operators had raised concerns over the event, but details of the size and location of the rally were still needed to assess the impact on the industry. “When problems exist, everyone should sit down and find a win-win solution for all,” he said.

Demonstrators intended the rally to be nonviolent, Ke Sovanroth, CNRP working group leader in Siem Reap, said yesterday.

“If [authorities] do not show any violent act towards demonstrators, then the rally will go peacefully”, she said.

Sovanroth added that if tourists stayed away it would be due to the potential threat of violence from authorities.

Siem Reap is the main tourist destination in Cambodia attracting millions of visitors every year. Tourist numbers reached 1.7 million visitors in the first 10 months this year.

Hotels in Siem Reap that the Post spoke to were all nervous about the damage the protests could do to their business.

“It affects tourists who are planning to come to Cambodia. They might reconsider [their] plan,” one hotel manager said, asking not to be named.

MOST VIEWED

  • Angkor Wat named as the top landmark for the second year

    Travel website TripAdvisor has named Cambodia’s ancient wonder Angkor Wat as the top landmark in the world for the second year running in their Travelers’ Choice Award 2018, an achievement Cambodian tourism operators expect will attract more tourists to the Kingdom. The website uses traveller

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Hun Sen detractors ‘will die’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday said those who curse or insult him would eventually die without a plot of land to bury their bodies after being killed by lightning, suffering the same fate as those who recently died in Thmar Baing district in Koh

  • Ministry’s plan for net sparks fears

    The government has ordered all domestic and international internet traffic in the Kingdom to pass through a Data Management Centre (DMC) that has been newly created by the state-owned Telecom Cambodia, in a move some have claimed is an attempt to censor government critics. Spokesman