Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - A final call for unregistered SIMs

A final call for unregistered SIMs

A employee organises SIM cards at a mobile phone shop in central Phnom Penh late last year.
A employee organises SIM cards at a mobile phone shop in central Phnom Penh late last year. Pha Lina

A final call for unregistered SIMs

The national telecom regulator has set November 1 as the final deadline for mobile phone operators to register all of their clients’ mobile SIM cards or face cancellation – marking the latest ultimatum in a government crackdown that began over a year ago.

Im Vutha, spokesman for the Telecom Regulator of Cambodia (TRC), said yesterday that the date was set after the government called on all mobile operators to meet and present their data for SIM card registration. The data showed that despite a year-long campaign to register all SIM cards, about 1.5 million of the Kingdom’s 19.3 million SIM card subscriptions still lack proper registration.

“We have given mobile operators and customers enough time to register their SIM cards,” he said. “It is time to take action and make sure the amount of unregistered SIM cards continues to get smaller and smaller.”

The government announced in a statement late last month that telecom operators and retailers were prohibited from selling pre-activated SIM cards to consumers, and unless registered by November 1, all active SIMs were to be cancelled. The statement also ordered service providers to alert customers with unregistered SIM cards at least seven times within seven days before they are deactivated.

The government has said the crackdown on unregistered SIMs is aimed at reducing criminal activity and protecting national security.

Vutha said the government would take more control in monitoring telecom operators’ databases to ensure that they were still not permitting unregistered SIM cards to flood the streets.

“We have a plan to control unregistered SIM cards by using an online management system that will also allow us to find out easier who is not registered,” he said. “More enforcement action will come in the future.”

Som Sineth, who continues to use an unregistered SIM card from telecom giant Smart Axiata, said that nothing has changed with her subscription and that over the past year she has not received any alerts from the company, either through SMS or customer service calls, that she could face deactivation.

“Since I have been using this unregistered SIM card, everything is normal,” she said. “I know if they take action I will not be able to use this card anymore, but I can just buy a new one.”

Chhim Sang Heng, owner of Hak Se Phone shop, said his shop has yet to receive any information from any of Cambodia’s telecom operators regarding the government’s November 1 deadline. However, he insisted his shop only sells registered Smart, Cellcard and Meftfone SIM cards.

“We only sell SIM cards to those that have proper identification,” he said.

Heng said the inconvenience of registration has slowed overall sales at his shop, and he believes small phone shops were still making profits off of unregistered sales.

Another SIM card seller, Siv Mey from the Vuthy Phone shop, said that SIM card sales have dropped by 40 percent at his shop since the government began threatening a long-delayed crackdown.

“Most customers prefer to buy unregistered SIM cards because they feel it is easier,” she said, adding that unregistered SIM cards can still be found in the majority of markets in Phnom Penh and cost as little as $0.50.

Thomas Hundt, CEO of Smart Axiata said that the company was making every effort to ensure that customers do not get disconnected by trying to notify them through multiple channels ahead of the government’s deadline.

He said the company would abide by the governments deadline “for the purpose of national security and subscriber protection”.

“Smart, together with the industry, continues to consult with TRC and Ministry of Interior on addressing this exercise effectively, while minimising the impact and limiting disruption to subscribers,” he said.

Representatives of the other major mobile operators did not respond by press time to interview requests.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year