Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Garment sector still plagued by truck bans

Garment sector still plagued by truck bans

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Trucks line up at a checkpoint on Phnom Penh’s Chroy Changvar peninsula set up to check for overloaded and illegally modified trucks last week.

Garment sector still plagued by truck bans

The garment industry’s gridlock due to a crackdown on illegal trucks continued through the Chinese New Year, potentially prolonging a crisis that members of garment and trucking associations have said threatens their industries.

An open letter released on Wednesday by the Garment Manufacturer’s Association in Cambodia (GMAC) claimed the crackdown had affected more than half of the trucks used to transport goods to and from garment factories, which form the backbone of Cambodia’s export economy.

Siv Chanthy, president of the Cambodia Freight Forwarders Association, had a meeting with Transportation Minister Sun Chanthol on Wednesday to find a solution to the problems, but he said yesterday the issue was not yet resolved.

“Until now, I have not heard any solutions from the ministry yet,” Chanthy said yesterday, adding that many factories had not needed trucks for the past few days due to Chinese New Year, which is not a public holiday but is widely celebrated in Cambodia.

“We are looking to see what the impact will be on transportation companies after this holiday, and will estimate the cost of the impact,” he said.

Kaing Monika, deputy secretary-general of GMAC, said on Wednesday that issues related to the crackdown would have significant negative effects on the garment industry if they were not resolved “within this week”. Monika could not be reached yesterday.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants