Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - GM quits Trump emissions lawsuit

GM quits Trump emissions lawsuit

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
GM withdrew from a challenge to California’s fuel economy rules that endorse boosting the use of electric auto. AFP

GM quits Trump emissions lawsuit

General Motors (GM) on November 23 withdrew from a challenge backed by US President Donald Trump’s administration to California’s fuel economy rules that endorse President-elect Joe Biden’s policy for boosting the use of electric auto.

In October last year, GM – along with Toyota and Fiat Chrysler – announced they supported the challenge to California, arguing that fuel economy rules should be set federally.

The Trump administration had taken a confrontational posture towards California’s rules, which adopt stricter environmental standards than those set at the federal level.

But on November 23, the US auto giant said it was “immediately withdrawing” from the lawsuit and invited other automakers to follow suit, according to a letter from GM CEO Mary Barra to environmental groups.

Barra, who met Biden earlier this month and has had a fractious relationship with Trump, said she was “confident that the Biden administration, California and the US auto industry … can collaboratively find the pathway that will deliver an all-electric future”.

Barra said she was “inspired” by Biden’s “Build Back Better” plan, “which outlines a clear intention to expand vehicle electrification in the United States, create one million jobs, install 550,000 charging stations, and position American auto workers and manufacturers to win the race for electrification”.

Biden welcomed the move, calling it “encouraging news for our economy, our planet, and the long-term success of US autoworkers.

“GM’s decision reinforces how short-sighted the Trump administration’s efforts to erode American ingenuity and America’s defences against the climate threat really are,” he said, adding that the manufacturer’s choice would have a “positive ripple effect” on the manufacturing economy.

GM announced last week that it will boost investment in electric and autonomous vehicle technology by $7 billion through mid-decade as it unveils more all-electric vehicles.

Barra has clashed with Trump a number of times, including earlier this year, when the US president accused GM of dragging its feet in shifting production capacity to build ventilators for the battle against the novel coronavirus.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Education’ a priority traffic-law penalty

    A top National Police official on June 21 neither rejected nor confirmed the authenticity of a leaked audio message, which has gone viral on social media, on a waiver of fines for a number of road traffic-related offences. General Him Yan, deputy National Police chief in

  • Pursat Ford assembly plant opens

    The Kingdom’s first Ford assembly plant was inaugurated on June 16 in Pursat province amid rising demand for brand-new vehicles among Cambodians. The facility is seen as a game changer for the domestic automobile industry, which could bring a wave of investors seeking to cash

  • Siem Reap’s $18M zoo said to educate public, help wildlife

    Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium Co Ltd has invested $18 million in a zoo in Siem Reap province, which will be opened in October to educate and promote animal conservation as well as attract national and international tourists. Currently, the Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium is building the

  • Volunteer scheme to foster ‘virtuous’ humanitarian spirit

    A senior education official said volunteer work contributes to solidarity and promotes a virtuous humanitarian spirit among the youth and communities. Serei Chumneas, undersecretary of state at the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport, made the comment during the opening of a training programme called “

  • Angkor photo rules clarified

    The Apsara National Authority (ANA) denied that it had banned the use of camera tripods in the Angkor Archaeological Park, explaining that the confusion stemmed from a long-standing rule which required commercial photographers and videographers to apply for permission to film. The explanation followed a

  • $50B infrastructure plan en route

    The government’s upcoming $50 billion,10-year infrastructure master plan will provide tremendous investment opportunities for domestic and foreign entities, transport experts and economists say. Minister of Public Works and Transport Sun Chanthol revealed the plan to Japanese ambassador to Cambodia Masahiro Mikami on June 15. At