Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - HCMC seeks developers for nearly 300 PPP projects

HCMC seeks developers for nearly 300 PPP projects

HCMC seeks developers for nearly 300 PPP projects

Ho Chi Minh City is expected to reconsider projects under the public-private partnership (PPP) investment form meant to combat flooding and land subsidence and resettle people living along canals when new regulations for PPP come into effect.

The Vietnamese city has sought private partners for nearly 300 PPP projects, with the Thu Thiem Bridge No 4 being the latest.

Expected to cost 5.2 trillion dong ($2.25 billion), the bridge will connect Districts 2 and 7, easing traffic congestion in the Saigon South Area and boosting the development of the new Thu Thiem urban area.

PPP projects undertaken in the past include the Saigon Bridge and Phu My Bridge, expansion of the Hanoi Expressway and construction of the Tan Son Nhat-Binh Loi belt road, works that have helped smooth traffic and fostered socio-economic development.

City Department of Planning and Investment deputy director Tran Anh Tuan said PPP projects have also helped raise funds from the private sector for infrastructure development.

However, when the new regulations on PPP take effect, the city could face difficulties in raising funds for projects that would not have revenues or are financially infeasible, such as those for preventing flooding, controlling tides, building embankments, and resettling households living along canals or near government offices and cemeteries, he warned.

Besides, it would also be affected by the fact that PPP would not include investments on a build-transfer (BT) basis and would require investment in a project to be a minimum of 200 billion dong.

City People’s Committee deputy chairman Vo Van Hoan said PPP projects are aimed at infrastructure development and use of lands near those projects, but investors prefer lands in inner districts.

That is the reason why city authorities have asked relevant agencies to reconsider PPP projects, he explained.

BT projects whose construction is in progress would continue, he added.

VIET NAM NEWS/ASIA NEWS NETWORK

MOST VIEWED

  • PM: West unfair to Cambodia

    Prime Minister Hun Sen released a message celebrating the International Day of Peace on Monday, saying that some major powers and western countries had been systemically cooperating to put political pressure on Cambodia as they did in the 1970s and 1980s. Hun Sen said pressuring

  • ‘Bad news is an investor’s best friend’ – unlocking investment potential in Cambodia

    It is time to shop. Economic woes provide good pickings for investors if they know where to look The poem If, written by English Nobel laureate poet and novelist Rudyard Kipling for his son circa 1895, is widely perceived as fatherly advice for John who would

  • PM requests Russia’s Covid vaccine

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has requested that Russia provide Cambodia with its Covid-19 vaccine after the former announced it planned on mass vaccinating its population next month. The request came on Thursday through the prime minister’s Facebook page as he met with Anatoly Borovik,

  • First ‘mobile kitchen’ in Cambodia enters service

    A catering company recently rolled out Cambodia’s first “mobile kitchen” – a $50,000 container capable of serving up to 200 people at a time. The kitchen is the brainchild of Seng Hok Heng Catering Services. At 4.4m-high, 6.8m-long and 2.4m-wide (expandable to 6.8m), the kitchen is equipped

  • Kingdom, China rebut basis for US sanctions

    The Council for the Development of Cambodia, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, and Tianjin Union Investment Development Group Co Ltd (Tianjin) have responded to US sanctions on Union Development Group Co Ltd (UDG), a Chinese-owned company currently developing the sprawling $3.8 billion Dara

  • Influenza breaks out in eight provinces

    Nearly 600 people have been infected with influenza in eight provinces in the past month, Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said. The ministry is advising extreme caution. A report released by Vandine on Saturday said the Ministry of Health observed transmissions of influenza between August 15