Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Hello price plan raises discussion

Hello price plan raises discussion

Hello price plan raises discussion

MOBILE company Hello has drawn criticism from competitors and customers for its recent prepaid plans, saying low rates are unsustainable and are causing network congestion.

However, its Chief Executive Officer Simon Perkins yesterday stood by the tariff, saying the promotion has proven successful and the firm was improving its network.

Hello has offered a number of prepaid plans with unlimited on-network calling, most recently charging $3 a month. While customers have complained that Hello’s network is now overcrowded, its competitors have questioned the financial viability of the strategy.

“Unlimited voice or data packages on mobile networks are devastating. It’s not sustainable,” Smart Mobile CEO Thomas Hundt said.

The increased usage as a result of these plans tends to drag on network capacity, he said, adding low tariffs likely meant the firm is losing money in an effort to attract customers.

Mobitel General Manager David Spriggs said a level of profitability was required that allows operators to invest in new services and coverage expansion.

Some local mobile phone shops, as well as Hello customers, have described similar problems with the company’s service.

Chhian Heng, a manager at Hakse phone shop on Norodom Boulevard, said calls on Hello’s network has been “very difficult for two months since the promotion began.”

Ung Sivthong, a Hello customer who works at Olympic Thmey Handphone Shop on Norodom Boulevard, claimed it has been increasingly difficult to make calls after 9 pm. He switches to a second phone with a Metfone SIM card when his Hello handset no longer works, he said.

However, Hello’s Simon Perkins said the company has been successful with its plans to charge a flat rate per month. The firm has invested in its network to meet the new demand from the pricing plan, with some upgrades finished on Monday, he said. “Largely those issues have gone away,” he added.

The plan is also providing revenue for the firm. “The interesting thing is we do make money. We have a regular income stream from people who subscribe from those packages,” he said, adding the company’s market share continues to grow.

Perkins also responded to claims by rival firms that Hello has ignored a Ministry of Post and Telecommunications prakas outlining a minimum price per minute for calls, enacted in late 2009. He said Hello appealed to the ministry when a number of companies continued to offer prices below those dictated by the prakas.

Hello eventually offered the MPTC an ultimatum when the ministry failed to enforce the law: either do so, or Hello also would ignore the prakas. “We decided to take the action we did in early 2011, which was to go out there with a pricing plan that was going to give the market a surprise,” he said.

Perkins said he has no plans to stop the firm’s promotions. “Realistically the ball is in MPTC’s court. They know how we feel.”

Minister of Posts and Telecommunications So Khun yesterday declined to comment. ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY LOEUT SOLUY

MOST VIEWED

  • US think tank warns of China's 'ulterior motives'

    A US think tank on Tuesday warned that spreading Chinese investment in the Indo-Pacific follows a pattern of leveraging geopolitical influence at the expense of the nations receiving investment, including Cambodia. The report looks at a sample of 15 Chinese port development projects, noting that the

  • More than three tonnes of ivory reportedly bound for Cambodia seized in Mozambique

    A total of 3.5 tonnes of ivory reportedly bound for Cambodia was seized by authorities in Mozambique late last week, according to the NGO Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES). CITES' information was based on a report from the

  • Defence Ministry denies weapons in smuggling case came from Cambodia

    After a Thai national was arrested last week for allegedly smuggling guns from Cambodia to Thailand, Cambodia's Defence Ministry has claimed the weapons seized during the arrest are not used in Cambodia, despite the fact that both types of rifle seized are commonly found in

  • Shipwreck found off coast of Koh Kong

    Royal Cambodian Navy researchers are working to identify a decades-old shipwreck found earlier this month off the coast of Koh Kong province. Divers found the 70-metre-long wreck on April 4 about a mile from Koh Chhlam island, according to Navy officials. Deputy Navy Commander Tea Sokha,