Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - HK company to generate electricity from rubbish

HK company to generate electricity from rubbish

HK company to generate electricity from rubbish

Hong Kong-based China Conch Venture Holdings Ltd plans to invest in a waste-to-energy project in Kampong Cham province and help in coping with the increasing local energy demand, provincial governor Un Chanda said on Wednesday.

China Conch Venture Holdings CEO Ji Qiyin presented a project proposal at a meeting with Chanda on Monday.

Chanda told The Post that the firm on Monday conducted a field study at a rubbish dump and a recycling facility site in the province.

“We have been studying the feasibility of a waste-to-energy project in Kampong Cham province. As a preliminary step, the company visited a landfill and a recycling site that the Kampong Cham provincial administration has set up for rubbish processing,” he said.

After the field visit, he said, the company will report the results to the Kampong Cham provincial authorities in the next three to four days.

“Generating electricity from rubbish processing is good, and in line with government policy in serving the interests of the people,” Chanda said.

Currently, an average of 250 tonnes of rubbish in the province collects in the landfills daily in Chamkar Leu district.

“If this project were to materialise, it will help meet the energy needs of the garment factories – in 16 locations here – and increase their production chains.”

Last week, Chinese company Li Yu Heng Cambodia Construction Co Ltd also unveiled plans to invest in a recycled waste project to generate power for consumption in Preah Sihanouk province.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Courts’ decisions now published as reference source

    The Ministry of Justice has published 44 verdicts from civil litigation cases which can be used as models for court precedents and for study by the public and those who work in pertinent fields. Publication of the verdicts on December 31 came as the result of joint

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • China firm to develop Mondulkiri airport

    Tourism to the Kingdom’s northeast corridor could experience a remarkable metamorphosis after the government decided in principle of a Chinese company to study and develop a proposal to build a regional-level airport in Mondulkiri province, according to industry insiders. The Council of Ministers said