Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Huawei: Nine-month revenue up

Huawei: Nine-month revenue up

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Huawei founder and CEO Ren Zhengfei. HECTOR RETAMAL/AFP

Huawei: Nine-month revenue up

Chinese tech giant Huawei said on Wednesday that its revenue for the first nine months of this year grew by almost a quarter despite a US campaign to isolate the company globally.

Huawei’s revenues jumped 24.4 per cent year-on-year to 610.8 billion yuan ($86.2 billion) and its profit margin increased 8.7 per cent, it announced.

Huawei, based in the southern Chinese city of Shenzhen, is the world’s leading supplier of telecoms networking equipment and the number-two global smartphone vendor.

But it has been under pressure this year as US officials lobbied allies worldwide to avoid the company’s telecom gear over security concerns, amid a wider trade conflict between the two economic superpowers.

In May, Washington said it would blacklist Huawei from the US market and from buying crucial US components, though it has twice extended the company 90-day reprieves, the latest coming in August.

The US has expressed concern that Huawei equipment could contain security loopholes that allow China to spy on global communications traffic. The company has repeatedly denied the accusation.

“Huawei has maintained its focus on [information and communications technology] infrastructure and smart devices, and continued to boost the efficiency and quality of its operations,” a company statement said.

“This contributed to increased operational and organisational stability and solidified the company’s performance in the first three quarters of 2019.”

The US blacklist could prevent Huawei from getting hold of key hardware and software including smartphone chips, and exclude it from the Google Android operating system, which equips the vast majority of smartphones in the world, including those of Huawei.

Already, Huawei in August revealed HarmonyOS, its alternative operating system for phones and other smart devices in the event the US sanctions are imposed on the company.

But analysts say it will be hugely difficult for any new operating system to compete against phones that have Android or its rival, Apple’s iOS system.

The Google Play Store available via Android provides access to hundreds of thousands of third-party apps and games as well as films, books and music, and analysts said that without Android, Huawei may find it difficult to find buyers for its phones outside of China.

But according to Huawei, there has been little impact on smartphone sales so far this year.

It said shipments in the first three quarters surpassed 185 million units, up 26 per cent year-on-year.

Unlisted Huawei does not provide detailed financial figures and the announcement made no mention of the US blacklist.

Asked recently about the hit to Huawei’s business this year, company founder Ren Zhengfei said he reckoned Washington’s sanctions would knock about $10 billion off revenue.

Last year the company crossed $100 billion in annual revenue for the first time.

MOST VIEWED

  • Chikungunya hits 15 provinces, says gov’t

    Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said on Thursday that the chikungunya outbreak in the Kingdom has spread to 15 provinces. Some 1,700 people are now suspected to have the disease. Vandine urged people to prevent its further spread by eliminating shelters for the Aedes aegypti mosquitoes

  • Body of woman killed in Bangkok returns

    The Cambodian embassy in Thailand is working to repatriate the body of a casino dealer who was shot dead in Bangkok on Monday night. Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation spokesman Kuy Kuong told The Post on Wednesday that officials are preparing paperwork to

  • Gov’t exempts visa A and B holders from Covid fees

    Airline passengers who are diplomats and officials of international organisations holding Type A and B visas for travel to Cambodia are exempted from paying Covid-19 testing fees, said the Ministry of Health in its latest adjustment of rules on Wednesday. Health Minister Mam Bun Heng

  • All inbound flights set to face added scrutiny

    Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said on Monday that the ministry is monitoring all inbound flights, after it was announced that only those from Malaysia and Indonesia will be temporarily cancelled from August 1. Vandine said on Monday that the two countries were identified as

  • Flights from Indonesia, Malaysia cancelled

    A Ministry of Health official has warned of the possibility of Covid-19 spreading through community transmission after the total infected cases in the Kingdom rose to 225. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine told reporters on Saturday that the possibility of community transmission cannot be overlooked and that