Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Indonesian telco 'planning acquistion in Kingdom'

Indonesian telco 'planning acquistion in Kingdom'

Indonesian telco 'planning acquistion in Kingdom'

INDONESIA’S largest telephone company plans to acquire a telecommunications company in Cambodia, according to its commissioner Tanri Abeng, Bisnis Indonesia newspaper reported yesterday.

The Cambodian company in question was not identified by Abeng, but according to sector insiders a number of domestic telecommunications companies are said to be actively seeking buyers.

Officials from PT Telekomunikasi Indonesia – also known as Telkom – had previously announced the firm’s intention to expand to other regional markets.

“Telkom is looking for acquisition opportunities in Southeast Asia, including mobile phone providers as our market is starting to mature,” Chief Executive Officer Rinaldi Firmansyah said in September, according to Reuters.

“We need a new market but we will not go to Africa. It’s too far. But in Asia we’re open any acquisition possibilities.”

Company officials could not be reached for comment yesterday.

The firm closed up 0.63 percent in Jakarta trading yesterday, finishing at 8,500 rupiahs (US$0.894).

Several mobile service providers have recently been identified as possible acquisition.

Star-Cell – which claimed to be Cambodia’s seventh of nine mobile providers at the end of the third quarter – has received offers from rival providers Smart Mobile and qb, Alan Sinfield, qb CEO, has said.

Star-Cell has been widely viewed as on the market in recent months.  Its Sweden-based owner TeliaSonera AB announced it had “written down” its value by more than US$100 million late last month, claiming “no goodwill” in a market it said was characterised by fierce competition and high churn rates.

Cambodia’s largest mobile provider Mobitel had also been in negotiations with France Telecom, an official from the French embassy in Phnom Penh said in October. The firm had refinanced through a $591-million loan from the Bank of China earlier this month, with a portion of the credit to be used expanding its service. Prime Minister Hun Sen witnessed the refinancing deal in Phnom Penh, along with Wu Bangguo, chairman of the Standing Committee of the National People’s Congress of the People’s Republic of China.

The deal will enable The Royal Group to refinance a $421 million loan used to buy out a majority stake in Mobitel from Luxembourg-based Millicom last year. The Royal Group CFO Mark Hanna said the group was still “reviewing options“ when asked if the deal meant Mobitel was for sale.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting