Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Insiders say new concrete factories not enough to stabilise local sector

Insiders say new concrete factories not enough to stabilise local sector

Cement is loaded for delivery in Phnom Penh.
Cement is loaded for delivery in Phnom Penh. Heng Chivoan

Insiders say new concrete factories not enough to stabilise local sector

Four new Cambodian cement factories are set to come online in the near future, tripling the number of local producers, but insiders and officials this week maintained that even increased capacity will not significantly lower rates of cement imports to Cambodia due to prevailing high costs of local production.

According to information from the Ministry of Industry and Handicrafts, only two cement companies are currently operational, annually producing a combined 3.4 million tonnes. An additional three factories are expected to begin production at the start of the new year, and a fourth is currently in construction.

Hort Pheng, director of the Industrial Affairs Department at the Ministry of Industry, projected that the total annual production of all six factories would be around 20 million tonnes, but noted that no efforts were being made to lower costs of production, which continue to negatively impact local cement quality and price.

“Our construction sector is growing, but even if our cement factories produce 20 million tonnes a year, our imports of cement will remain high because our cement prices are still too high to compete with imported products,” he said. “We should focus on lowering the cost of our own cement, so we do not have to depend so heavily on imports.”

Heng Sinsiphat, deputy general manager of Battambang Conch Cement, claimed that his new factory, which will be operational in a few months, should produce 1.8 million tonnes of cement annually. He added that the cement market demand in Cambodia was about 7 million tonnes in 2017, but said he expects demand to grow exponentially in the next few years.

“The growth of investment from China and Korea will push the growth of construction, and I do not think that even the entire supply of Cambodian cement will be sufficient to meet the needs of the growing construction sector,” he said.

However, Sinsiphat added, “Even if we produce enough cement to cover all new [construction] projects, importing will still be a challenge to the local industry, because we cannot compete on quality or cost.”

Tieng Sopheak Vichea, public and government relations manager at Chip Mong Insee Cement, said that the company’s $262 million factory will be operational in February and has the capacity to produce 2 million tonnes of cement a year, though he declined to comment further.

Production figures for the other two factories could not be obtained yesterday.

According to Seang Thai, spokesman for the Ministry of Commerce, the Kingdom imported 1.19 million tonnes of cement last year, equivalent to $85 million.

“Cement imports are still highly important for construction, because our cement supply is not sufficient to meet construction growth,” he said. “We are part of a free market now, and we have to build up our capacity to compete in this market – we cannot ban imports.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year