Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - ‘Kingdom must prepare for new wave of Chinese’

‘Kingdom must prepare for new wave of Chinese’

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Cotri has warned the Kingdom’s tourism industry to prepare for a new wave of Chinese ‘customised tour groups’. PHEARUM/XINHUA NEWS AGENCY

‘Kingdom must prepare for new wave of Chinese’

Cambodia needs to be better prepared to attract and accommodate a new type of Chinese tourist, said Hamburg, Germany-based China Outbound Tourism Research Institute (Cotri).

There are currently two types of Chinese visitors in Cambodia, Cotri said, including big-package tour groups spilling out of coach buses for sightseeing, shopping and endless selfies and small groups of self-organised tourists, mostly younger, English-speaking and more interested in the local culture and cuisine.

According to Cotri, a third group has evolved – the “customised tour group”.

Cotri director Wolfgang Georg Arlt said after a decade of growing outbound tourism, more and more Chinese have not only the money but also the experience that enables them to clearly identify what they want to do while travelling with their friends, family or colleagues.

“This new wave of sophisticated demand from China offers new opportunities for Cambodia’s destinations and tourism service providers,” he said.

However, it also comes with the need for a deeper understanding of the Chinese outbound tourism market.

For Cambodia, the significance of the new opportunities to attract Chinese travellers lies not just in increasing the number of arrivals, but in keeping previous levels of income, according to a Cotri report.

“In many regions of Cambodia the amount of spending per traveller per day is declining, as shopping has become less important and new tailor-made products and services have not been developed in Cambodia in sufficient numbers,” said the report.

Cotri’s research shows that many Chinese guests would be able and willing to spend more money in Cambodia if they could find adequate specific activities for families, older travellers, art or nature lovers.

Cambodian Association of Travel Agents adviser Hor Vandy said on Sunday that the number of Chinese tourists travelling to Cambodia through tour company arrangements has seen a strong decline recently due to the rise in independent travellers.

“Previously, the arrival of Chinese tourists was completely organised by tour companies, including lodging, food venues, shopping and also recreational trips. The trend is currently changing, with visitors looking to explore other options,” he said.

Ministry of Tourism spokesman Chuk Chumno said: “The growth of Chinese tourists to Cambodia, in any form, is entirely positive for Cambodia’s economic growth.”

Offering customised travel services based on better knowledge can help disperse visitors into different regions, attract them outside of peak season and have them stay longer and spend more money.

Cotri forecasts 400 million outbound trips from China in 2030, so the Kingdom better prepare for the next waves of Chinese visitors, it said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Hun Sen asks Cambodians to believe in government

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Monday asked citizens and investors to trust that the government will overcome the challenges brought about by Covid-19 and the loss of the EU’s Everything But Arms (EBA) scheme. Speaking to reporters at the Peace Palace in Phnom Penh,

  • Westerdam passenger ‘never had’ Covid-19

    The US Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said the US citizen that allegedly tested positive in Malaysia after travelling on the Westerdam was never infected with Covid-19 in the first place. In an article published in the newspaper USA Today on Friday, CDC

  • ‘Ghost staff’ found, $1.7M returned to state coffers

    The Ministry of Civil Service said more than seven billion riel ($1.7 million) in salaries for civil servants was returned to the state last year after it discovered that the books had been cooked to pay ‘ghost officials’. This is despite claims by the Ministry of

  • Woman wanted for killing own son

    Police in Phnom Penh’s Meanchey district are on the lookout for a woman who allegedly hacked her son to death on Sunday in Stung Meanchey III commune. District police chief Meng Vimeandara identified the son as Chan Sokhom, 32. “The offender can’t escape forever.

  • H5N1 also poses deadly threat, ministry warns

    The Ministry of Health’s Communicable Disease Control (CDC) department has called on citizens to excise caution over H5N1 or bird flu that is spreading in the southern province of Vietnam. In a Facebook post, the department announced that it has made a series

  • Malaysia in turmoil

    Malaysian Prime Minister Dr Mahathir Mohamad has done it again. At the centre of two days of high drama and political manoeuvring, he has, wittingly or not, contributed to shaking Malaysia, and further causing its equities market to fall nearly three per cent. The drama