Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Kingdom’s rice exports drop despite deals

Kingdom’s rice exports drop despite deals

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
A woman works in a rice processing factory in Battambang province. Heng Chivoan

Kingdom’s rice exports drop despite deals

Cambodian rice exports have dramatically declined over the past four months compared to the same period last year, causing significant concern for the rice industry even as plans are in the works to expand exports by thousands of tonnes, according to government officials.

The data, released by the General Department of Agriculture yesterday, show that total rice exports in the first four months of this year totalled 197,354 tonnes, compared to the 212,394 tonnes exported in the same period last year, a year-on-year decrease of 7 percent.

“It is really concerning for the rice industry,” said Hean Vanhan, director general of the General Department of Agriculture, yesterday. He stated that while the Cambodia rice industry could produce 10 million tonnes of raw paddy, exports are realistically expected to fall.

Vanhan claimed that even though agreements had been signed to boost exports, terms of the deals and price negotiations were still ongoing.

“We will set up a meeting with the private sector and relevant ministries to address the added challenges,” he said.

China, which agreed to accept 200,000 tonnes of rice from the Kingdom last year and will expand that quota to 300,000 tonnes this year, was the top destination for rice shipments leaving the country.

Bangladesh also inked a deal with the government last year to purchase 1 million tonnes of rice from Cambodia over the next five years. None has yet been shipped, however, as the memorandum remains in the negotiation phase.

Long Kemvichet, spokesman for the Ministry of Commerce claims that the deal with Bangladesh is still being ironed out and that the two sides are, “working toward implementing the MoU”.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants