Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - KrisEnergy set to review bids for drilling services

KrisEnergy set to review bids for drilling services

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
KrisEnergy employees attach a rock bit to a drilling shaft at an oil platform. afp

KrisEnergy set to review bids for drilling services

Singapore-based firm KrisEnergy, which operates Cambodia’s offshore Block A, is now reviewing bids submitted by contractors for integrated drilling services and a facilities platform. They were submitted during the second quarter.

The procedure reflects a commitment the firm made to the Kingdom’s government, pledging that the first drop of oil would be extracted from the block late next year.

Ministry of Mines and Energy spokesman Cheap Sour said the progress puts the company a step closer to oil extraction after it formally signed a petroleum revenue sharing agreement with the government in August last year.

After reviewing and selecting the contractors, Sour said KrisEnergy will seek approval from Cambodian authorities to finalise the same.

“This progress makes it clearer that the company is executing the timeframe that was determined, and is on the journey to begin producing oil in 2019,” Sour said.

In a press release, KrisEnergy said an invitation for bids was issued in the second quarter of this year, seeking both integrated drilling services and a minimum facilities platform for engineering, procurement, construction, installation and commissioning.

KrisEnergy first became a stakeholder for Block A in 2010, before buying the stake owned by Chevron for $65 million. KrisEnergy owns 95 per cent of the Apsara oil field in Block A, while the Cambodian government owns the rest.

Cambodian Finance Minister Aun Porn Moniroth said in August of last year that Block A is believed to hold about 30 million barrels of oil, which could be extracted over the course of nine years.

With the price of Brent crude currently hovering around $70 a barrel, the government expects to earn more than $500 million in income from royalties and tax over the project’s lifespan.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Education’ a priority traffic-law penalty

    A top National Police official on June 21 neither rejected nor confirmed the authenticity of a leaked audio message, which has gone viral on social media, on a waiver of fines for a number of road traffic-related offences. General Him Yan, deputy National Police chief in

  • Pursat Ford assembly plant opens

    The Kingdom’s first Ford assembly plant was inaugurated on June 16 in Pursat province amid rising demand for brand-new vehicles among Cambodians. The facility is seen as a game changer for the domestic automobile industry, which could bring a wave of investors seeking to cash

  • Siem Reap’s $18M zoo said to educate public, help wildlife

    Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium Co Ltd has invested $18 million in a zoo in Siem Reap province, which will be opened in October to educate and promote animal conservation as well as attract national and international tourists. Currently, the Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium is building the

  • Angkor photo rules clarified

    The Apsara National Authority (ANA) denied that it had banned the use of camera tripods in the Angkor Archaeological Park, explaining that the confusion stemmed from a long-standing rule which required commercial photographers and videographers to apply for permission to film. The explanation followed a

  • $50B infrastructure plan en route

    The government’s upcoming $50 billion,10-year infrastructure master plan will provide tremendous investment opportunities for domestic and foreign entities, transport experts and economists say. Minister of Public Works and Transport Sun Chanthol revealed the plan to Japanese ambassador to Cambodia Masahiro Mikami on June 15. At

  • Volunteer scheme to foster ‘virtuous’ humanitarian spirit

    A senior education official said volunteer work contributes to solidarity and promotes a virtuous humanitarian spirit among the youth and communities. Serei Chumneas, undersecretary of state at the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport, made the comment during the opening of a training programme called “