Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Land on capital’s riverfront is opened up for investment

Land on capital’s riverfront is opened up for investment

Businesses and residences are seen along Phnom Penh’s riverside in 2013. Post staff
Businesses and residences are seen along Phnom Penh’s riverside in 2013. Post staff

Land on capital’s riverfront is opened up for investment

The government has signed off on a proposal to designate more than 9 hectares of land along Phnom Penh’s riverfront as state-private land, opening it up for private investment or long-term leasing.

The 9.25-hectare stretch of riverfront from the capital’s Night Market to the Chroy Changvar bridge was reclassified from state-public land to state-private land last month, according to a royal decree signed by Prime Minister Hun Sen and released in the first quarter of 2018’s royal book.

The royal decree consists of four articles granting the Ministry of Public Works and Transport (MPWT) and the Ministry of Economy and Finance (MEF) responsibility for managing the newly transitioned land.

Officials from both ministries were tight-lipped about why the reclassification was made or what the government planned to do with the space.

MEF spokesman Nup Sothun Vichet declined to comment on Monday and referred questions to the MPWT.

Ken Ratha, deputy director of the MPWT Cabinet, confirmed the content of the royal decree on Monday but said he had no details about the project.

MPWT spokesman Va Simsorya said he could not give out any details about what would happen to the riverfront area and instead repeated the content of the decree.

“In the past it was public-state land, and now it has become private-state land that is open to investment,” he said.

The reclassifying of state-public land to state-private land is a key step toward granting a long-term lease or economic land concession. Roughly the northern half of the designated area is already under the management of the Phnom Penh Autonomous Port (PPAP), a state-run agency, while the southern half is mostly a paved walkway where private riverboats dock. PPAP Director General Hei Bavy could not be reached for comment.

The riverfront real estate would likely fetch between $4,000 and $6,000 per square metre on the open market, according to Chrek Soknim, CEO of real estate firm Century 21 Mekong, making the potential value of the land up to $550 million.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • ‘Beware of WhatsApp fraudsters’

    The Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications warned members of the public who use WhatsApp to vigilantly guard against a new trick employed by hackers that involves the use of six-digit codes sent to potential victims via the popular messaging app. The ministry said hackers could