Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Lao, Vietnam PMs call for infrastructure projects

Lao, Vietnam PMs call for infrastructure projects

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The 22,000ha Vung Ang Economic Zone was established in Ha Tinh province’s Ky Anh district in 2006 and is considered as one of Vietnam’s five key coastal economic zones. VNAS.VN/VIET NAM NEWS

Lao, Vietnam PMs call for infrastructure projects

Lao Prime Minister Thongloun Sisoulith and his Vietnamese counterpart Nguyen Xuan Phuc have called for the fulfilment of cooperation projects, notably mega infrastructure projects, during talks in Vietnam over the weekend.

The Lao prime minister made a short stop in Hanoi on his way back from the Future of Asia conference in Japan, Lao media reported.

The two prime ministers noted that the two governments, ministers and sectors are actively implementing cooperation projects that the leaders of both sides have agreed to.

In particular, both sides are pushing for the implementation of mega infrastructure projects including the Vung Ang seaport and the Vientiane-Hanoi expressway.

The governments of Laos and Vietnam have agreed to jointly develop the Vung Ang seaport in Vietnam’s central Ha Tinh province.

It was reported previously that Laos would hold a stake of up to 60 per cent in the project, while Vietnam will hold the remaining 40 per cent. The Lao government envisages that the seaport will be a key trade route for the landlocked nation.

Meanwhile both countries are seeking funding for key projects such as the 707km Hanoi-Vientiane expressway. It is estimated that the six-lane highway will cost more than $4.5 billion to build.

Prime Minister Phuc said Vietnam has always done its best to increase cooperation with Laos and has helped Laos in its national development and protection tasks.

For his part, Thongloun expressed his thanks to Phuc as well as the Vietnamese government and people for the warm hospitality extended to him and his delegation.

He said he highly valued the effort and progress made towards fulfilling cooperation projects between the two neighbours.

Thongloun said the planned infrastructure projects were significant in boosting two-way trade and trade value between Laos and Vietnam.

The Lao and Vietnamese governments also plan to build a railway linking Vientiane to the Vung Ang seaport, which will be another important component of the trade route.

The two sides signed an agreement earlier this year pledging to work together to fulfil the planned project, known as the Vientiane-Vung Ang railway.

The 555km railway will cover 452km in Laos and 103km in Vietnam.

Each side pledged to seek financing to build the section of railway on its soil, according to the agreement on exploring potentials to realise the railway project.

In a memorandum of understanding on transport cooperation for 2016-2025 signed between the Vietnamese and Lao governments in September 2015, the two sides defined the Hanoi-Vientiane expressway and the Vientiane-Vung Ang railway as strategic projects that need to be carried out promptly to boost bilateral trade. VIENTIANE TIMES/ASIA NEWS NETWORK

MOST VIEWED

  • Rainsy vow to return on Nov 9 dismissed as ‘political warfare’

    An announcement from the Supreme Court-dissolved Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) that its “acting president” Sam Rainsy would return to the Kingdom on November 9 was dismissed on Sunday as “political warfare”. The CNRP made the announcement on Friday after a permanent committee meeting chaired by

  • Official transferred after pointing at car with foot

    The deputy director of the Siem Reap provincial Registration and Driver’s Licence Unit at the Department of Public Works and Transport who last week pointed at the number plate of a car taken in for a technical check with her foot has been transferred.

  • Kingdom rejects VN request

    Cambodia rebuffed Vietnam’s request to provide nationality to its citizens living in Kratie, Mondulkiri, Ratanakiri and Stung Treng provinces, with officials saying law enforcement is the Kingdom’s responsibility. Chheang Vun, the head of the National Assembly’s Committee on Foreign Affairs, International Cooperation,

  • PM sues Rainsy in Paris court

    Prime Minister Hun Sen and Dy Vichea, the deputy chief of the National Police, filed lawsuits against Sam Rainsy, the “acting president” of the Supreme Court-dissolved Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP), for defamation in a Parisian court on Tuesday. The court action comes after Rainsy,