Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Mfone staffers paid another 30 per cent

Mfone staffers paid another 30 per cent

Mfone staffers paid another 30 per cent

Former Mfone employees yesterday received a second payment of the total $4.4 million they have been demanding in compensation after their previous telecom employer filed for bankruptcy in January.

Khan Sereyvuthy, senior legal advisor to Mfone’s court appointed administrator Ouk Ry, said yesterday that the staff received 30 per cent of the outstanding $4 million, “as we already promised them that they are the first priority whenever our assets are sold”.

More than 1,000 staffers already received 10 per cent, or $440,000, of their outstanding salaries in July.

Sereyvuthy said the pay-off was a result of selling Mfone’s core network assets – the mobile towers – to Chinese-owned Khmer Unity Network Communicate Co Ltd, without revealing how much the sales were worth.

“Under the deal, they will pay us step by step – this means that our compensation to employers will also follow this.”

Ry said last month that deals had been made on many of the failed telecom’s assets, including highly valued cellphone towers, but that it would take time to transfer them.

“With the left-over money, we will pay to our [other] creditors,” Sereyvuthy said yesterday, adding that the Chinese company has delayed their payments several times.

“We already informed them many times, but no reply from them. We hope that they will pay us soon.”

Pang Vuthy, a worker’s representative, confirmed the second payment by Mfone yesterday.

“We really appreciate with Mfone’s administrator who kept their promise despite delayed payments.”

It is estimated that Mfone accrued more than $160 million in debt before it went bankrupt. Corporate creditors include Norwegian-owned electronics firm Eltek Valere and Chinese telecommunications equipment provider Huawei Technologies.

Kouy Thunna, a lawyer for Huawei, said so far he has not received any payment from Mfone.

MOST VIEWED

  • Chinese influx pushing locals, Westerners out of Preah Sihanouk

    Some within the Kingdom’s tourism industry have speculated that the recent influx of Chinese visitors may hinder domestic tourism as the price of accommodations in the coastal city of Sihanoukville continues to rise. Preah Sihanouk province, which has become a hotbed for Chinese investment

  • ‘Dire consequences’ from sanctions, warns AmCham

    American businesspeople in Cambodia have warned that any sanction against the Kingdom would have “dire consequences” that could push Cambodia even further into the arms of China. In a letter to US senators and representatives dated Monday, the American Chamber of Commerce Cambodia (AmCham) said

  • Preah Sihanouk beach developments halted

    After receiving an order from Hun Sen, Minister of Land Management Chea Sophara led a team of experts and relevant officials to Sihanoukville to call a halt to the illegal development of a beach. The prime minister ordered the Prek Treng beach in Otres commune

  • CPP: ‘Behave or Sokha suffers’

    The ruling Cambodian People’s Party (CPP) spokesman warned Kem Monovithya on Thursday that her attempt to damage “national reputation and prestige” would lead to her father, Kem Sokha, receiving even harsher punishment. Sok Eysan issued the warning as Monovithya, who is the court dissolved