Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Mining update: Brighton begins test drilling

Mining update: Brighton begins test drilling

Mining update: Brighton begins test drilling

BRIGHTON Mining Group Ltd has begun test drilling for gold at its Antrong project in Mondulkiri province, intending to establish an inferred maiden resource by the second half of 2011. The ASX-listed firm drew parallels to OZ Mineral’s Okvao tenement in the same province, and claimed in a filing to be “very excited” about the project’s prospects.

In March last year, OZ declared an inferred resource of 605,000 ounces at a property in the Cambodia province, one of the more noteworthy discoveries yet found. Last month, Cambodian Association of Mining and Exploration Companies president Richard Stanger said while that actual extraction of resources had yet to begin in the Kingdom,  “in the next five to seven years mining operations will be taking place here”.

On Friday, Australian junior miner Gulf Mines Ltd announced it had entered into an agreement with Brighton to provide a short-term loan facility. Brighton climbed 18.6 percent on the ASX in Sydney last week, closing Friday at A$0.255 (US$0.252) a share.  

It increased more than 18 percent in trading on Wednesday, the day it announced the drilling.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Businesses in capital told to get travel permit amid lockdown through One Window Service

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has issued guidelines on how to get travel permission for priority groups during the lockdown of Phnom Penh, directing private institutions to apply through the municipality's One Window Service and limit their staff to a mere two per cent. In

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting