Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Mondulkiri concession agreements cancelled

Mondulkiri concession agreements cancelled

Mondulkiri concession agreements cancelled

THE government has cancelled agreements on 50 private concessions in Mondulkiri province, apparently due to company inactivity, according to the provincial governor.

In a statement dated January 4, Chan Yoeun said the decision had been made to “nullify and invalidate 50 companies in Mondulkiri province”.

It said an additional three companies previously under investigation would be able to continue working in the province according to their original agreements, adding that the authorities “welcome new companies or old that seek real investment”.

The statement, which was published in the local Khmer-language press, listed the names of the companies whose deals were annulled – including Tanimex Co Ltd and Good Luck Co – although no official reason was given for the decision. Chan Yoeun was unavailable for further comment.

Deputy Governor Aisy Sokunthear said in November that the government was considering whether to cancel agreements with more than 50 firms operating in Mondulkiri province on the grounds that they had failed to develop their land concessions. She was unavailable for further comment Friday.

At the time she said the decision to investigate the companies had been made to determine the tax that should be paid to the government, and also so that unused land concessions could be redistributed to companies with serious plans to develop the province.

According to Mondulkiri provincial figures, the government granted 260,000 hectares of land to the companies in question for production of crops including rubber and coffee.

Chhay Thy, a provincial monitor for the rights group Adhoc, said Friday that the decision to invalidate the companies’ licences followed a meeting on November 25 between the head of the National Land Dispute Resolution Committee, Bin Chhin, and provincial officials from Mondulkiri.

No further details from the meeting were immediately available.

“Those companies have not done anything except clear the land,” Chhay Thy said, adding that firms should discuss with local inhabitants private-sector projects and their impacts on communities before going ahead with development.

MOST VIEWED

  • US think tank warns of China's 'ulterior motives'

    A US think tank on Tuesday warned that spreading Chinese investment in the Indo-Pacific follows a pattern of leveraging geopolitical influence at the expense of the nations receiving investment, including Cambodia. The report looks at a sample of 15 Chinese port development projects, noting that the

  • More than three tonnes of ivory reportedly bound for Cambodia seized in Mozambique

    A total of 3.5 tonnes of ivory reportedly bound for Cambodia was seized by authorities in Mozambique late last week, according to the NGO Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES). CITES' information was based on a report from the

  • Defence Ministry denies weapons in smuggling case came from Cambodia

    After a Thai national was arrested last week for allegedly smuggling guns from Cambodia to Thailand, Cambodia's Defence Ministry has claimed the weapons seized during the arrest are not used in Cambodia, despite the fact that both types of rifle seized are commonly found in

  • Shipwreck found off coast of Koh Kong

    Royal Cambodian Navy researchers are working to identify a decades-old shipwreck found earlier this month off the coast of Koh Kong province. Divers found the 70-metre-long wreck on April 4 about a mile from Koh Chhlam island, according to Navy officials. Deputy Navy Commander Tea Sokha,