Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - MPTC collects 70% of expectation

MPTC collects 70% of expectation

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications collects $13.5 million from telecom operators for last year from two funds, which is 70 per cent of the ministry’s expectation. Moeun Nhean

MPTC collects 70% of expectation

The Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications (MPTC) collected $13.5 million from telecom operators for last year from two funds. Officials said this represented 70 per cent of the ministry’s expectation.

Although the targeted revenue was not fully collected, MPTC Secretary of State Kan Channmeta said at a press conference late on Wednesday that it shows good progress as the policy is in its first year of implementation and revenue would continue to be collected from the companies yet to pay.

According to Channmeta, of the total revenue collection for last year, the Universal Service Obligation Fund (USOF) contributed $9 million while $4.5 million was raised from the Capacity Building, Research and Development Fund (CBRDF).

Channmeta said officials acknowledged from the outset that implementation of revenue collection in the first year would face many challenges.

Twenty-seven of the 31 telecom companies have paid so far. The identity of companies that have or have not paid was not revealed by the official on Wednesday.

“Based on first-year results, we hope that revenue collection from the funds for this year will be better and smoother,” he said. The deadline for 2018 revenue collection is March next year.

“Operators have been watching us [and wondering] how we will manage the funds they paid. We guarantee transparency and accountability in managing the funds,” Channmeta said.

The 2016 Telecom Law and subsequent sub-decrees set up the two funds, USOF and CBRDF, with the purpose of promoting the development of infrastructure and services in rural areas where companies might not otherwise invest, as well as promoting research and fostering new talent in the industry.

The USOF requires two per cent of a company’s gross annual revenue to be paid each year, while telecom companies are required to pay a percentage of their annual revenue into CBRDF each year.

While there are 31 operators obligated to contribute, the three largest telecom operators – Smart, Cellcard and Metfone – provide the bulk of the funds’ revenue.

In a statement, yesterday Smart, a subsidiary of Malaysian telecom giant Axiata Group, said it had paid more than $7 million into the two funds for last year.

The company called on its rivals to pay their fees, noting that it is vital that all licensees contribute on time to both funds as required by law for the long-term benefit of all parties.

The statement commended the boards and MPTC for being forward-looking in having provisions which align with Smart’s joint priorities of creating a digital Cambodia via achieving a universal broadband service as well as increasing information and communication technology (ICT) capabilities in the country.

“In 2018, we contributed $3.9 million to date and will settle all due USOF and CBRDF payments as we take our national responsibilities very seriously."

“We continue to reiterate the importance of a level playing field for the industry, especially in terms of tax requirements and fee payments,” the statement said.

MOST VIEWED

  • NagaWorld casinos set to reopen, schools to follow

    NAGACORP Ltd has requested that it be allowed to reopen its NagaWorld integrated resorts in Phnom Penh after the government recently approved casinos to operate again, provided they follow Covid-19 prevention measures set by the Ministry of Health. Mey Vann, the director-general of the Ministry

  • ASEM supports Kingdom’s proposal to postpone meeting amid Covid

    The 13th Asia-Europe Meeting (ASEM13) scheduled to be held in Cambodia in November has been postponed until mid-2021 due to the Covid-19 pandemic, a Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation press statement released on Saturday said. The decision was made during a two-day meeting

  • Coffee maker roasted for producing fake product

    The Ministry of Interior’s Counter Counterfeit Committee will send a suspect to court on Monday after she allegedly roasted coffee mixed with soybeans and other ingredients, creating a product which could pose a high risk to consumers’ health. On the afternoon of July 2, the

  • Cambodia armed with money laundering laws

    Money laundering will now carry a penalty of up to five years in prison while those convicted of financing terrorists will be jailed for up to 20 years, according to new laws promulgated by King Norodom Sihamoni and seen by The Post on Thursday. Comprising nine

  • Schools to be reopened in ‘three stages’

    With guidance from Prime Minister Hun Sen, the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport, is in the process of reopening schools in three stages. But no timeline has been set, ministry spokesperson Ros Soveacha said on Thursday. Soveacha said the first stage will be to

  • Thai border crossings eased

    The Cambodian Embassy in Thailand said in an announcement on Wednesday that Thailand’s government has allowed certain passengers from several countries to enter its borders. The visitors must go back to their country immediately after their duties in Thailand are fulfilled, the embassy said.

  • Gov’t says tourism recovers slightly despite pandemic

    The Ministry of Tourism and the Phnom Penh municipal administration have recognised 33 tourism businesses in the capital which have consistently implemented safety measures for tourists and adhered to the code of conduct issued by the ministry. Recently, the ministry announced that tourism businesses had to

  • Mull ASEAN border opening, PM urges

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has requested that ASEAN launch a scenario for gradually reopening cross-border travel and trade between countries in the region. He said ASEAN has had more success combating Covid-19 compared to other regions. The prime minister’s request was made at the

  • Ministry reports 11 new Covid-19 cases, reiterates vigilance

    Minister of Health Mam Bun Heng has urged people to continue practising virus prevention techniques after 11 people tested positive for Covid-19 within two days after arriving in the Kingdom. Speaking on Sunday, Bun Heng stressed the importance of washing hands, wearing masks or scarves when

  • Koh Rong land ‘belongs to firm’

    Preah Sihanouk Provincial Administration spokesperson Kheang Phearum told The Post on Sunday that the 35ha being bulldozed by Royal Group Co Ltd in Koh Rong belongs to it after it was leased to it for 99 years by the government in 2008. Phearum said the land does