Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Naga seals new gaming area deal

Naga seals new gaming area deal

Naga seals new gaming area deal

Phnom Penh casino NagaWorld has signed off a $50 million deal with four different investors to operate a new gaming area, according to a May 28 announcement from its Hong Kong stock exchange-listed parent NagaCorp.

The scheme will be jointly operated, with NagaCorp entitled to 70 per cent of the revenue and the investors the remaining 30 per cent. The news comes after Chinese firm CMC Phnom Penh Import Export agreed to pay NagaCorp $40 million on May 4 to enter “exclusive” negotiations to set up the gaming area.

An additional $10 million will be deposited by the investors to purchase about 300 machines slated to make up the area.

The four companies include CMC and three other “independent” parties: Cambodia-registered businesses Jin He Tai Construction and Top Summit Garment, and a person named “Jinfu” who owns China Central Asia Group, NagaWorld’s builder.

China Central Asia Group was the firm that referred CMC – described as a group of “independent Chinese businessmen” – to NagaWorld, according to a May 6 NagaCorp announcement.

The new gaming area’s high price tag comes with a central location inside NagaWorld, at the new main entrance to the complex slated for completion at the end of this year.

Gaming analyst Grant Govertsen of Union Gaming Securities Asia said the announcement was “good news for Naga shareholders as witnessed by the increase in the stock price recently”.

NagaCorp stock has recently risen to $6.29 a share, up from $4.79 in March, although it is still slightly down from one year ago.

NagaCorp has been striking positive tunes of late, saying it expected the group would record a “significant increase” in net profit for the first half of 2015 largely thanks to the deal.

It said it expected a net profit of “not less than $100 million and potentially more”, up 40 per cent from the same time period last year.

NagaCorp also announced, on Monday, that Chen Yiy Fon, the son of Naga founder Chen Lip Keong, was appointed to an executive director position and as a member of the Anti-Money Laundering Committee of the Company.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia to waive quarantine requirements Nov 15, no PCR test required

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has decided to lift all quarantine requirements for fully vaccinated travellers and visitors – both Cambodians and foreign nationals – effective from November 15 onward. In a special message addressed to officials and relevant authorities on November 14, Hun Sen said this policy will enable

  • PM: No more quarantine for vaccinated travellers

    Cambodia is lifting all quarantine requirements for vaccinated inbound travellers entering Cambodia by air, waterway or land border checkpoints effective from November 15. Travellers will be required to take a rapid antigen test on arrival rather than waiting for the results of the lengthier polymerase chain

  • No payment required for travellers taking rapid Covid tests on arrival

    Ministry of Health officials said there would be no payment required for the rapid Covid-19 tests given to travellers who arrive in Cambodia from November 15 onwards after the quarantine requirement is lifted for fully vaccinated people. Health ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine told The Post on

  • General’s gun smuggling ring busted

    The Military Police sent six military officers to court on November 22 to face prosecution for possession of 105 illegal rifles and arms smuggling, while investigators say they are still hunting down additional accomplices. Sao Sokha, deputy commander of the Royal Cambodian Armed Forces and commander of

  • More Cambodians studying in US

    The number of Cambodian students studying at US colleges and universities in 2020-21 increased by 14.3 per cent over the previous year despite the Covid-19 pandemic, according to a recent US government report. The 2021 Open Doors report on International Educational Exchange showed that 848 Cambodian students studied

  • Cambodia, Thailand to discuss border reopening

    Cambodian authorities from provinces along the Cambodia-Thailand border will meet with Thai counterparts to discuss reopening border checkpoints to facilitate travel, transfer of products and cross-border trade between the two countries. Banteay Meanchey provincial deputy governor Ly Sary said on November 22 that the provincial administration