Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - NagaCorp VIP program questioned

NagaCorp VIP program questioned

A pedestrians stroll past NagaWorld in Phnom Penh
A pedestrians stroll past NagaWorld in Phnom Penh last August as it undergoes renovations. Hong Menea

NagaCorp VIP program questioned

Citi Research, the strategy and analysis arm of Citigroup Inc, one of the world’s largest financial firms, has questioned NagaCorp’s VIP junket program in a recent report that also cites cross-border competition and tourism failings as potential threats to the program’s success.

Citi Research’s analysis was published on NagaCorp’s website on April 8 in response to the casino firm’s unaudited first-quarter results, which show a 14 per cent increase in VIP gambling during the first three months of the year.

“Failure to attract tourists to Phnom Penh could cut traffic at the casino and lower gaming revenue. Another downside risk is the perceived ‘weak’ control environment in Cambodia, giving rise to money laundering concerns,” the eight-page report says, adding that NagaCorp’s unaudited VIP results were below estimates.

Citi Research cautioned the company against investing in non-gambling ventures and said competition from Chinese gaming hub Macau, would also have a strong negative impact on NagaCorp’s junket program, as would the rise of any large-scale casino industry in Thailand or Vietnam.

“A sustained slowdown in Macau gaming would also threaten Naga’s strategy of targeting the ‘Poor Man’s VIP’ as Macau junkets would be forced to act more competitively with regards to all segments of the VIP market,” the report states.

The analysis of NagaCorp’s VIP junket scheme, which was launched in March 2013 and earned the firm more than $133.1 million last year, was partly backed by fellow multinational financial services corporation Morgan Stanley.

In a report also published on NagaCorp’s website on April 8, Morgan Stanley states that the gambling operator’s first-quarter VIP spending and junket figures were weaker than expected and that increasing competition from other ASEAN gaming markets especially the Philippines – could pose a certain degree of competition.

NagaCorp, owner of Phnom Penh’s only casino, NagaWorld, reported a 16 per cent increase in revenue for the first quarter of 2014, according to the latest unaudited financial statement.

Gamblers played more than $115 million on public gaming floor tables during the first three months of the year, up 24 per cent on 2013 figures. Electronic gambling machine players, meanwhile, spent $273 million, up 10 per cent.

NagaCorp reported profits of more than $140 million in 2013, according to their February 12 annual financial statement, which also detailed the firm’s plan to introduce regular chartered flights between Macau and Phnom Penh in an effort to bolster the VIP market.

“To cope with the expected increase in VIP headcount, the Group is completing level three of the hotel block and the rooftop of the pool wing to create additional VIP junket gaming areas that will potentially add up to 63 VIP gaming tables, which is targeted for completion in 2014,” the statement said.

A $369 million second Phnom Penh casino named Naga2 and a $350 million casino project in Russia were also outlined in the annual financial statement.

NagaWorld could not be contacted for comment.

MOST VIEWED

  • All inbound flights set to face added scrutiny

    Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said on Monday that the ministry is monitoring all inbound flights, after it was announced that only those from Malaysia and Indonesia will be temporarily cancelled from August 1. Vandine said on Monday that the two countries were identified as

  • Flights from Indonesia, Malaysia cancelled

    A Ministry of Health official has warned of the possibility of Covid-19 spreading through community transmission after the total infected cases in the Kingdom rose to 225. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine told reporters on Saturday that the possibility of community transmission cannot be overlooked and that

  • Man in quarantine dies of ‘overdose’

    The Ministry of Health on Thursday said a Cambodian migrant worker who died while being isolated at a quarantine centre in Tbong Khmum province’s Kroch Chhmar district may have died from syncope or overdose of tablets. In a statement, the ministry said the 21-year-old

  • Ministry set to reopen 20 schools in August

    The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport will allow 20 high-safety-standards schools to reopen next month despite new cases of Covid-19 in the country. Ministry spokesperson Ros Soveacha wrote in a Telegram message on Wednesday that the schools are in Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Battambang.