Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - NagaWorld reports $1.29B in Q3 gross gaming revenue

NagaWorld reports $1.29B in Q3 gross gaming revenue

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Traffic passes in front of NagaWorld hotel and casino complex in Phnom Penh. Post Pix

NagaWorld reports $1.29B in Q3 gross gaming revenue

Nagaworld, which holds an exclusive licence to operate in Phnom Penh, reported a 20 per cent year-on-year gain in gross gaming revenue (GGR) of nearly $1.29 billion in the first nine months of this year, according to GGRAsia. 

GGRAsia, which is an online newsletter that covers the Asian sector of the casino industry, cites a report filed by the company to the Hong Kong Stock Exchange last week.

The report shows that NagaCorp recorded net gaming revenue of $616.3 million for the nine months ended on September 30, up 28.5 per cent year-on-year.

“The financial results for the nine months ended September 30, 2019, show that the group continues its journey of growth,” the report said.

The company said its mass-market table buy-ins climbed 37.9 per cent to $1.22 billion during the period, while the bills-in tally for its electronic gaming machines gained 27.9 per cent to $2.05 billion.

In the VIP table games segment, its rolling chip turnover was up by 35.3 per cent to almost $33.87 billion.

“The increase in VIP business volume was driven by the continued influx of business visitation, tourists and increased footfall to NagaWorld Complex, in particular, Naga 2 where there has been customer demand for higher table limits,” the company said.

The firm cited political stability in Cambodia, an improving operating environment, business growth at Naga 2 – a massive $369 million hotel and gaming extension to NagaWorld – tourism and the expansion of its VIP gaming business among the reasons for its results for the first nine months of this year.

China provides the bulk of the Kingdom’s tourist arrivals as mainland gamblers are widely viewed as the Asia-Pacific region’s most lucrative clients. NagaCorp said there were more than 1.5 million arrivals from China up to the end of July.

The Naga 3 project, which is located on the site of the former ‘White Building’, has started soil tests and the selection of suitably qualified regional piling contractors, which shall be appointed soon, the company said.

“Duration of the piling works is expected to last between 18 to 24 months,” it said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting