Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - NCAC seeking aid to continue operations

NCAC seeking aid to continue operations

The Ministry of Commerce in Phnom Penh in 2016.
The Ministry of Commerce in Phnom Penh in 2016. Vireak Mai

NCAC seeking aid to continue operations

The National Commercial Arbitration Centre (NCAC) is seeking further support from the Commerce Ministry to continue operating, saying that fees collected from dispute claims are too small to cover the centre’s costs.

The NCAC, an independent body that works to resolve commercial disputes, was officially launched in 2013, but due to a lack of resources – including office space – it was relatively inactive until 2015 when it reached a deal with the commerce minister to receive assistance through 2017.

With that deal – which mostly involved free office space – having just ended, Ros Mornin, the NCAC’s president, said yesterday that he was sending a proposal to the ministry to extend the deal.

The centre needed the assistance to make ends meet, he said.

“The revenue we get from administration fees from dispute claims is very little, and it is not able to cover the cost of rent,” he said, adding that he was hopeful the ministry would support the NCAC’s operation. “When the centre is more active in the future, we hope that we’ll able to cover all costs on our own.”

The NCAC has now received five cases in total, Mornin said, with the first two now settled. For each case, parties are required to pay administration costs based on the size of the disputed claim and a $250 registration fee.

Lim Heng, vice president of Cambodia Chamber of Commerce, said the NCAC offered crucial dispute-resolution options for businesses.

Businesses had now begun to put clauses in contracts stipulating that if a dispute arose, they would agree to bring the case to the NCAC rather than the courts, Heng said.

“Many business owners think that the legal system is time consuming and expensive,” he said. “I hope and believe that the ministry will provide further support to keep the centre operating.”

Seang Thai, a Commerce Ministry spokesman, said the ministry had not yet received the NCAC’s proposal, but noted that the ministry recognised the advantages of having the centre.

“Having the NCAC operate sustainably is our goal as it is important to build trust for investors,” Thai said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Hungarian exposes 90 to Covid in Siem Reap

    The Ministry of Health has discovered 90 people who have been exposed directly or indirectly to a Hungarian man infected with Covid-19. They all are required to quarantine at home and the hospital. The ministry is searching for other affected people. Among the 90, one is the

  • PM: West unfair to Cambodia

    Prime Minister Hun Sen released a message celebrating the International Day of Peace on Monday, saying that some major powers and western countries had been systemically cooperating to put political pressure on Cambodia as they did in the 1970s and 1980s. Hun Sen said pressuring

  • PM warns of ‘new Cold War’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said the possibility of a so-called new Cold War has become a significant concern and that all countries have to reject outright, any attempt to allow history to tragically repeat itself. He made the remarks in a speech during 75th Session

  • ‘Bad news is an investor’s best friend’ – unlocking investment potential in Cambodia

    It is time to shop. Economic woes provide good pickings for investors if they know where to look The poem If, written by English Nobel laureate poet and novelist Rudyard Kipling for his son circa 1895, is widely perceived as fatherly advice for John who would

  • PM requests Russia’s Covid vaccine

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has requested that Russia provide Cambodia with its Covid-19 vaccine after the former announced it planned on mass vaccinating its population next month. The request came on Thursday through the prime minister’s Facebook page as he met with Anatoly Borovik,

  • First ‘mobile kitchen’ in Cambodia enters service

    A catering company recently rolled out Cambodia’s first “mobile kitchen” – a $50,000 container capable of serving up to 200 people at a time. The kitchen is the brainchild of Seng Hok Heng Catering Services. At 4.4m-high, 6.8m-long and 2.4m-wide (expandable to 6.8m), the kitchen is equipped