Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - New EIA rules for mining

New EIA rules for mining

New EIA rules for mining

The Ministry of Mines and Energy signed joint prakas with the Ministry of Environment aimed at simplifying the environmental impact assessment (EIA) requirements for artisanal and small-scale mining practices.

The law has set up a transitional regime for EIA compliance, based on the scale and scope of existing mining operations in attempt to formalise the sector without causing undue burden to the extractive industry.

Mining sites less than 10 hectares are exempt from EIA requirements and need to only file an environmental protection pledge with the Ministry of Environment, while those that are less than 1 hectare are under the watch of provincial authorities. Mining operations from 10 to 40 hectares must begin an environmental impact study, but are not restricted from continuing operations.

Anything above 40 hectares and deemed “likely to cause significant environmental impacts”, must conduct a full EIA assessment before given a mining licence.

Meng Saktheara from the Ministry of Mines and Energy said that the new prakas provide a “step-by-step” process to regulate the sector.

“We will give small-scale mining operations three months to comply, while larger sites will be given six months to a year,” he said. “From our perspective, because the small-scale mining sector has little corporate governance, this will allow them time to become more like corporate businesses.”

He added that the new requirements will bring more mining operations under government oversight.

“Just because they comply with the law, does not mean that we will grant them a licence,” he said. “But we also don’t want to stop their operations because they are engaged in existing contractual agreements.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Virus tops 84 with new cases in S’ville

    The Ministry of Health on Sunday night confirmed another 31 cases of coronavirus infections, bringing the Kingdom’s total to 84 and it highest daily tally. There have been no fatalities thus far. The latest cases were found in 29 French tourists and their two Cambodian tour guides

  • Two French tourists latest Covid-19 cases in Kingdom

    The Kingdom on Saturday saw two more cases of coronavirus infections, bringing the total to 53. While the majority of the previous cases are linked to a Muslim religious gathering in Malaysia, the latest cases involved two French tourists visiting Sihanoukville. The Ministry of Health said

  • Kingdom’s virus toll tops 84, Cambodians in Thailand rush home

    The Ministry of Health on Sunday night confirmed another 31 cases of coronavirus infections, bringing the Kingdom’s total to 84 and its highest daily tally. There have been no fatalities thus far. The latest cases were found in 29 French tourists and their two Cambodian tour guides

  • NBC calls for cashless payments

    The National Bank of Cambodia (NBC) has urged government ministries, financial institutions and the public to conduct cashless payments via electronic systems where possible to combat the spread of Covid-19. “To contribute to the prevention of Covid-19, the National Bank of Cambodia encourages financial institutions

  • CEO held for fraud in Siem Reap

    Over 200 individuals gathered in front of the Siem Reap Provincial Court last week to ask that Dim Suonnath, the CEO of a real estate company being held for fraud, take responsibility for compensating some 2,000 residents who invested with him. The request was denied. Suonnath responded

  • Ministry calls for home schooling

    Minister of Education, Youth and Sport, Hang Chuon Naron appealed to parents of students to provide home education in a proper environment and help them obtain more learning materials. The ministry also allowed schools to take a premature vacation after several people tested positive for