Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - NGOs say bank must remain to clean mess

NGOs say bank must remain to clean mess

NGOs say bank must remain to clean mess

Rights groups yesterday called on ANZ bank to help address alleged labour and environmental violations at Phnom Penh Sugar Company instead of walking away from the problem.

A joint statement released yesterday by Equitable Cambodia and Inclusive Development International said it would be wrong for the banking giant to withdraw its financing for the firm and absolve itself of responsibility.

“Exiting the relationship would be an all-too-easy route for ANZ to take to try to make this story go away, but the fact is this story is not going away for the hundreds of families who have been impoverished by the project ANZ made possible,” David Pred, managing associate of Inclusive Development International, said in the statement.

The call from NGOs comes a week after environmental auditing documents leaked to the Post pegged the multinational bank’s local venture, ANZ Royal, as a financier of ruling party senator Ly Yong Phat’s controversial sugar plantation.

Phnom Penh Sugar Company has been caught up in forced land evictions and child labour scandals. The files revealed that the sugar producer had ignored 60 per cent of the recommendations made by an auditing firm on a range of issues, from worker health and safety to relocation monitoring.

ANZ Royal said in response to the revelations last week that it would exit any relationship if a company did not meet the bank's own environmental and social standards. But the bank indicated that in the case of Phnom Penh Sugar Company, it would continue to engage.

“Our position hasn’t changed, we are still engaging with the case, including trying to facilitate a meeting between the customer and the NGOs/community, which awaits a response from Equitable Cambodia,” Grant Knuckey, ANZ Royal’s CEO, said in an email.

MOST VIEWED

  • Siem Reap drain canal now ‘mangrove’ promenade

    A more than half a kilometre long stretch of canal in Siem Reap has been covered and turned into a promenade to attract visitors, said Ly Rasmey, secretary of state at the Ministry of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction, on September 16. The new pedestrianised

  • Angkor wildlife, aquarium park still to open October

    The Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium complex about 30km southeast of Siem Reap town with initial total investment of more than $70 million is reportedly still on track for an end-October opening. The park is located on a 100ha plot along National Road 6 in Kbon village, Khchas

  • Final verdicts for Khmer Rouge leaders ‘vital’ for next generation

    Nearly a decade after the commencement of Case 002/02 against Khieu Samphan back in 2014, the Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia (ECCC) is now set to deliver its final verdict for the former Khmer Rouge head of state. The Supreme Court Chamber of the ECCC,

  • Typhoon Noru brings flash floods – 16 dead

    An official warned that that the 16th typhoon of the season, Noru, had brought heavy rains to areas the Mekong River and flooded thousands of homes in the provinces bordering Thailand. As of September 27, the death toll from the flooding had risen to 16. National Committee

  • Defence minister reaffirms Kingdom’s staunch support for One-China policy

    Minister of National Defence General Tea Banh has reaffirmed Cambodia’s unwavering support for the One-China policy. Tea Banh was speaking at the September 20 ceremonial handover of 117 vehicles and other military equipment donated by China’s defence ministry, held at Phnom Chumreay International Military Training

  • Deaths due to ‘lifestyle’ diseases rise in Kingdom

    The Ministry of Health has called on people to pay closer attention to their health to protect themselves from non-communicable diseases (NCDs) which it said have caused high rates of deaths in the country. Ministry secretary of state York Sambath made the call at a