Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Number of tourists up for NYE in Kingdom

Number of tourists up for NYE in Kingdom

Number of tourists up for NYE in Kingdom

Local and foreign tourists flocked to the Kingdom’s various tourist destinations for New Year’s Eve in higher numbers than ever before, according to provincial officials.

Chhoeuy Chhorn, deputy director of the Siem Reap Provincial Tourism Department, said the province received 100, 400 visitors from December 30 to January 1, 2015, an increase of 15.2 per cent from the same period in 2013.

“Local tourists started to return to their hotels at 1am while foreign tourists celebrated until early morning.”

Local visitors reached 73,000, up 17.74 per cent, while the number of foreign visitors increased almost 9 per cent to 27,400 visitors, Chhorn went on to say.

Meanwhile, Sihanoukville also received around 110,000 visitors during the same timespan, said Nou Sophal, director of the beach town’s Tourism Department.

“The number of visitors remained at around 70,000 until the night of 31st when the crowds, coming from different districts, gathered for fireworks and a concert at Ochheuteal Beach,” he said.

Less well-known destinations also joined in, with Battambang organising its first New Year’s Eve celebration, said Uch Omthiny Sara, director of the Battambang Tourism Department.

“This is the first time we celebrate this, [and] the crowd was estimated at around 30,000 on New Year’s Eve.”

Sara added that Battambang, known for its colonial architecture, would organise even larger festivities next year to compete with Siem Reap and Sihanoukville.

MOST VIEWED

  • Virus tops 84 with new cases in S’ville

    The Ministry of Health on Sunday night confirmed another 31 cases of coronavirus infections, bringing the Kingdom’s total to 84 and it highest daily tally. There have been no fatalities thus far. The latest cases were found in 29 French tourists and their two Cambodian tour guides

  • Kingdom’s virus toll tops 84, Cambodians in Thailand rush home

    The Ministry of Health on Sunday night confirmed another 31 cases of coronavirus infections, bringing the Kingdom’s total to 84 and its highest daily tally. There have been no fatalities thus far. The latest cases were found in 29 French tourists and their two Cambodian tour guides

  • NBC calls for cashless payments

    The National Bank of Cambodia (NBC) has urged government ministries, financial institutions and the public to conduct cashless payments via electronic systems where possible to combat the spread of Covid-19. “To contribute to the prevention of Covid-19, the National Bank of Cambodia encourages financial institutions

  • Mysterious century-old structure found at bottom of Angkor pond

    The Apsara National Authority (ANA) has discovered a mysterious 1,000-year-old structure of a wooden building at the bottom of a pond after the Angkor Wat temple’s conservation team completed restoring its northern cave. The deputy director at ANA’s Angkor International Research and Documentation

  • CEO held for fraud in Siem Reap

    Over 200 individuals gathered in front of the Siem Reap Provincial Court last week to ask that Dim Suonnath, the CEO of a real estate company being held for fraud, take responsibility for compensating some 2,000 residents who invested with him. The request was denied. Suonnath responded

  • Ministry calls for home schooling

    Minister of Education, Youth and Sport, Hang Chuon Naron appealed to parents of students to provide home education in a proper environment and help them obtain more learning materials. The ministry also allowed schools to take a premature vacation after several people tested positive for