Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Oddar Meanchey coal-fired plant 50% complete

Oddar Meanchey coal-fired plant 50% complete

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The Kingdom produced 11.261GWh of electricity last year, up 21 per cent from 2018’s 9.427GWh. Hong Menea

Oddar Meanchey coal-fired plant 50% complete

Han Seng Coal Mine Co Ltd’s (HSCMC’s) 265MW coal-fired power station in Oddar Meanchey province’s easternmost Trapaing Prasat district is more than 50 per cent complete, with construction expected to be completed next year, provincial governor Pen Kosal said on Tuesday.

He told a press conference on the province’s progress, goal setting and action plans that the project would supply electricity locally and to some areas in neighbouring Siem Reap province to the south.

He said: “Construction is now 50 to 60 per cent complete . . . The company is gradually installing the electrical power poles.”

Original plans showed that the plant would be powered by local coal. But new studies have revealed that coal in the area does not produce hot enough temperatures through combustion, said Kosal.

Government spokesman Phay Siphan said via Facebook that the plant requires $294.3 million in capital investment and will be operational by the end of next year or early in 2022.

Ministry of Mines and Energy spokesman Victor Jona previously told The Post that Cambodia’s electricity demand is growing at an average of 16-18 per cent annually, though it soared 25 per cent last year from 2018.

He said the Kingdom can currently cover about 70-80 per cent of total domestic electricity consumption.

The Kingdom produced 11.261GWh of electricity last year, up 21 per cent from 2018’s 9.427GWh, said a ministry report.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants