Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Official releases EU trade data amid spat

Official releases EU trade data amid spat

A crane unloads containers from a docked ship at the Phnom Penh Autonomous Port.
A crane unloads containers from a docked ship at the Phnom Penh Autonomous Port. Pha Lina

Official releases EU trade data amid spat

Cambodia exported about $3 billion worth of goods to the EU in the first nine months of last year, according to Ouch Borith, a secretary of state at the Foreign Affairs Ministry.

Borith’s remarks came at the ministry’s annual meeting and were in response to a report released on Monday by the European Union’s foreign affairs ministers, which warned the Cambodian government of “specific targeted measures” and called for enhanced monitoring of Cambodia’s Everything But Arms (EBA) agreement over the country’s recent political crackdown.

Cambodia’s status under EBA grants the country tariff-free access to the EU market, which is traditionally the Kindgom’s largest market for exports. A threat to the EBA agreement could imperil Cambodia’s industrial sector, which is comprised mostly of garment factories and which employs about 850,000 people.

A comprehensive look at Cambodia’s customs data from last year is not available. Commerce Ministry officials have repeatedly told The Post that the Ministry and Economy and Finance’s Customs Department has only provided data for the first 3 months of last year, while customs officials could not be reached for comment.

Businesses and academics have complained that the lack of timely customs data hinders their work and research, and top government officials have also acknowledged the slow pace remains a problem. Cambodia has struggled with widespread illicit trade that goes unrecorded by the Customs Department, particularly in its timber, citric acid, beef and sand sectors.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Businesses in capital told to get travel permit amid lockdown through One Window Service

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has issued guidelines on how to get travel permission for priority groups during the lockdown of Phnom Penh, directing private institutions to apply through the municipality's One Window Service and limit their staff to a mere two per cent. In

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting