Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Oil blocks to remain open

Oil blocks to remain open

Oil blocks to remain open

The government said yesterday it would postpone bidding on two vacated offshore oil blocks given the low global levels of investment flowing into petroleum exploration activities.

The Ministry of Mines and Energy revoked the exploration licences of Resourceful Petroleum Limited last month after the Malaysian business failed to make any significant progress toward the exploration of Block B and Block F in the Gulf of Thailand.

Given the current slump in global oil prices, the government will adopt a wait-and-see approach before issuing exploration licences to new firms, ministry spokesman Meng Saktheara said yesterday.

“It is not a good time to open [the blocks] for new bidding, as we are looking to open them when we see high profitability from the investment,” he said.

“Nowadays, oil prices are still low, even for existing licence holders, so firms are reluctant start operations.”

The Cambodian government has divided the country into six offshore blocks and 19 onshore blocks. There are a further four areas in an overlapping claims area that is currently contested with Thailand.

KrisEnergy is currently the only company making progress in its negotiations with the government to secure a production licence.

In August 2014, the Singapore-based upstream oil and gas firm acquired Chevron’s 30 per cent stake in Block A, adding to its existing 25 per cent stake, giving it a controlling majority in the project.

At the time, KrisEnergy said that the site had the potential to produce 10,000 barrels of oil per day.

Of the country’s onshore blocks, PetroVietnam, a Vietnamese state-owned oil and gas company, is exploring Block XV and is set to conduct exploratory drilling later this year.

Brent Crude price at the time of print yesterday was just above $33 a barrel, down from its high last year of $67.77 per barrel.

MOST VIEWED

  • Draft law on state of emergency pending finalisation

    Prime Minister Hun Sen will lead a top-level meeting on Tuesdays to review the draft law on imposing a state of emergency. Meantime, he has decided to close all casinos in Cambodia effective April 1. In the press conference after the National Assembly met today, Hun

  • State of emergency on table amid pandemic

    Prime Minister Hun Sen, his deputy prime ministers and legal team will meet on Tuesday to review the draft law on declaring a state of emergency, as Covid-19 cases rose to 107 in the Kingdom on Monday. Speaking at a press conference after a parliament meeting

  • No word on state of emergency

    The National Assembly (NA) said it will postpone all unnecessary meetings in line with guidance from the Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) amid the Covid-19 pandemic. However, it did not say when or how it will debate the “state of emergency”

  • Many in limbo as tension heightens

    As the Kingdom restricts travel and prepares for a state of emergency, some foreigners in Cambodia are scrambling for a way home. Foreign embassies in Phnom Penh are making efforts to get their citizens out, but cancelled flights have become common due to the coronavirus

  • State of emergency draft law set for NA

    A draft law aiming to place the Kingdom in a state of emergency amid the Covid-19 pandemic is set for a debate at the National Assembly (NA) after going through the Council of Ministers’ Standing Committee meeting led by Prime Minister Hun Sen on Tuesday.

  • Hun Sen, ministers, officials donate salaries in virus fight

    Prime Minister Hun Sen and other senior government officials have decided to donate their salaries to the National Committee for Combating Covid-19 in support of the ongoing battle against the coronavirus. Hun Sen announced in an April 1 letter that because the Covid-19 situation in Cambodia