Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Phnom Penh airport train to start on April 10

Phnom Penh airport train to start on April 10

A train sits on the tracks outside the Phnom Penh train station yesterday. Tep Sony
A train sits on the tracks outside the Phnom Penh train station yesterday. Tep Sony

Phnom Penh airport train to start on April 10

The new rail line between Phnom Penh International Airport and the railway station on Monivong Boulevard is scheduled to open on April 10, according to government and Royal Railways officials.

Hoeurn Somnieng, deputy director of the cabinet at the Ministry of Public Works and Transport, said the infrastructure for the project was mostly completed, with only a few small tasks remaining.

“It will reduce traffic congestion and reduce the time for travelling from the centre of the city to the airport,” Somnieng said yesterday.

The service will be free for the first two-and-a-half months before it transitions to a fare-based system, according to Royal Railways CEO John Guiry, who declined to provide the future price but said it would be cheaper than a tuk-tuk or taxi.

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The inside of a passenger train set to begin running from Phnom Penh’s train station to Phnom Penh International Airport on April 10. Tep Sony

“We will try to get many people using it and see what it is like and experience it,” Guiry said, adding that the 10-kilometre trip would take between 22 and 30 minutes – less time than an average tuk-tuk or car ride from the city centre to the airport would take.

Imported from Mexico
While Royal Railways eventually plans to install three train engines imported from Mexico, delays in the procurement process caused the company to start by using two existing carriages with a capacity of between 110 and 130 passengers. Once operations begin, the train cars will depart from the station every 25 minutes, according to Guiry.

“We run the test train for about three to four weeks, and then the train imported from Mexico will take over in late April or early May,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Forest Harmony’s $18M luxury villas break ground in Kampot

    Local and French joint-venture Forest Harmony has broken ground on its $18 million “second-home” Luxury Holiday Villas project in Kampot province. Century 21 Mekong CEO and local shareholder of the project Chrek Soknim told The Post that the project will comprise 90 villa units covering 18ha on a 97

  • US, Cambodia pledge to strengthen military ties

    The US on Tuesday pledged to help train military officers, particularly Cambodia’s blue helmet troops deployed for UN’s peacekeeping operations. The pledge was made during a meeting between US ambassador Patrick Murphy and Royal Cambodian Armed Forces (RCAF) commander-in-chief General Vong Pisen. Further

  • Sokha lodges an appeal over treason case reaching court

    Kem Sokha, the president of the Supreme Court-dissolved Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP), has appealed against the decision to send his treason case to trial. Sokha’s legal team said their client was not satisfied with the decision of a Phnom Penh Municipal Court investigating

  • Rights Day forum denied in Sihanoukville

    The Preah Sihanouk provincial administration last Saturday denied the request of land communities for a public location in the province to celebrate International Human Rights Day 2019 as the administration had already held forums to discuss land issues. However, the land community representatives said they would

  • Gov’t approves $9B worth of building projects in 2019

    The government has approved more than $9 billion this year for capital investment in the construction sector, a nearly 80 per cent increase on last year, with most of the growth coming from projects in Sihanoukville, according to Minister of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction Chea

  • King rescinds oknha honorific of 46 National Police officials

    The oknha titles of 46 National Police officials with the rank of general, as well as senior officials in the ministries of Interior and National Defence, will be withdrawn following a royal decree from King Norodom Sihamoni. National Police spokesman Chhay Kim Khoeun told The Post