Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Phnom Penh SEZ to expand

Phnom Penh SEZ to expand

Phnom Penh SEZ to expand

The Phnom Penh Special Economic Zone will begin infrastructure work this month to expand land available for businesses, claiming its 141-hectare original development has now been entirely purchased or reserved.

The US$20 million second phase will be fully ready in two years and covers 162 hecatres of land.

Developers aim to attract a number of domestic industries to set up in the new area, as well as international companies - mainly from Japan, PPSEZ managing director Hiroshi Uematsu said in a statement today.

Business at the SEZ had picked up following a quiet 2009, he said.

“We have used 2010 to restructure and streamline our operations, refresh our brand, and prepare for the launch of development phase II,” he said, adding 2011 looked very promising.

Phnom Penh SEZ in Dangkor District is 78-percent owned by Cambodian businesswoman Lim Chhiv Ho, and 22-percent owned by Japanese developer Zephyr Company.

The existing land presently boasts tenants such as Ajinomoto, which makes seasoning, and Yamaha.

Japanese-based firm Minebea will be a new tenant on the second phase of the PPSEZ, according to Hiroshi Uematsu.

In December, Minebea announced it would set up a 5 billion yen ($61 million) manufacturing plant to make motors in Cambodia.

Minebea aims to begin in a leased small-scale production facility in the zone, but transfer to its own factory by the end of 2012.

It aims to eventually employ up to 5,000 people, making it its second largest production base by volume after its Chinese factory, according to a previous release.

Hiroshi Uematsu said the PPSEZ had succeeded due to strong commitment from management to provide quality infrastructure and service for investors.

CDC figures obtained in December showed the Kingdom had 21 SEZs, of which 14 were undeveloped.

MOST VIEWED

  • Chinese tourists 2.0 – Coming anytime soon?

    Regional tourism is grappling with the absence of the prolific travellers and big spenders – the Chinese tourists. Cambodia, which has welcomed over two million Chinese tourists before Covid-19, is reeling from the economic loss despite being the first to fully open last November ‘To put

  • PM reflects on shoe throwing: Free speech or act of violence?

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on May 17 questioned whether a man who threw a shoe at him while he was in the US was exercising freedom of expression or if it was an act of hostility. Hun Sen was referring to an incident last week when

  • Hun Sen: Stop Russia sanctions

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said sanctions against Russia as a result of its military offensive in Ukraine should be stopped as they have produced no tangible results, and predicted that a global food crisis would ensue in 2023 as a consequence. Speaking to an audience at

  • Prime Minister Hun Sen warmly welcomed by president Biden

    Prime Minister Hun Sen, as ASEAN chair, and other ASEAN leaders were warmly welcomed by US president Joe Biden as the ASEAN-US summit May 12-13 kicked off today in Washington. “This evening, I welcomed ASEAN leaders to the White House for the first time in

  • Prime Minister Hun Sen invites US president to attend summit in Cambodia

    Prime Minister Hun Sen personally invited US President Joe Biden to attend the ASEAN-US Summit which is set to be held in Cambodia in November, as ASEAN and the US are expected to upgrade their strategic partnership to a ‘comprehensive strategic partnership’, according to Prime

  • Pub Street on the cards for Battambang

    The Battambang Provincial Authority has announced that it is considering establishing a Pub Street in the area around the heritage buildings in Battambang town in a bid to attract more tourists. Battambang provincial governor Sok Lou told The Post that the establishment of a Pub