Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Prospect of another Koh Kong dam raised

Prospect of another Koh Kong dam raised

Prime Minister Hun Sen leads the inauguration of the Russey Chrum Krom hydropower dam in Koh Kong province in January 2015. AFP
Prime Minister Hun Sen leads the inauguration of the Russey Chrum Krom hydropower dam in Koh Kong province in January 2015. AFP

Prospect of another Koh Kong dam raised

The government is forming an interministerial committee to review an application from a Chinese firm to build another hydropower dam in Koh Kong province, according to a spokesman from the Mines and Energy Ministry.

China Huadian Corp, which previously built a 338-megawatt dam on the Russey Chrum River in Koh Kong, has submitted an application to invest in a new dam on the Stueng Veal Thmor Kambot River, according to ministry spokesman Victor Jona.

Jona said the company had submitted a feasibility study and that the proposed capacity would be 100 megawatts.

“We have seen the result from the study and found that the hydropower plant can be developed, because it can offer cheaper [electricity] prices and have little negative impact on the environment,” he said.

Environmental groups had raised issues with the firm’s previous dam, though the government dismissed the concerns.

The negotiation process could take between three and six months, and the company would only make a final decision on the project based on the resulting agreement, according to Jona.

The inter-ministerial committee is to be made up of members from the Ministry of Mines and Energy, Ministry of Economy and Finance, Electricite Du Cambodge, and Electricity Authority of Cambodia, he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Some jobs off limits to foreigners from August

    Beginning from the second week of August, foreigners will be banned from driving taxis and tuk-tuks, as well as being motorcycle delivery drivers, street food vendors, hairdressers and product distributors among other lower-income jobs. Some white-collar jobs such as the head of human resources will

  • Breaking: Rubbish found packed inside 83 containers at S'ville port

    Eighty-three containers packed with rubbish were broken open at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port by joint authorities on Tuesday. The origin of the containers has yet to be ascertained, Ministry of Environment spokesman Neth Pheaktra said. Pheaktra, who is also the ministry’s secretary of state, said