Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Questions raised over land sale at lakeside

Questions raised over land sale at lakeside

Questions raised over land sale at lakeside

Developer Shukaku has sold off close to 1.3 hectares of land at the capital’s controversial Boeung Kak lake site to a Singapore-listed HLH Group company, according to a statement from HLH.

HLH subsidiary D’Lotus Development purchased the land at Boeung Kak in Daun Penh district for $14.9 million on June 19 with the intention to develop the area into a business and shopping centre, the announcement on the Singapore exchange says.

“D’Lotus Development plans to develop [an] office tower, luxury condominiums, and F&B [food and beverage] and retail buildings on the land,” the June 20 SGX statement reads.

Other than filling the lake with sand and clearing residential areas, there has been little development at Boeung Kak since Shukaku took over the site, which has been at the centre of years-long land disputes.

In 2007, City Hall agreed to a $79 million, 99-year lease with Lao Meng Khin, a ruling Cambodian People’s Party senator and owner of Shukaku, to develop 133 hectares at Boeung Kak. Soon after, the company began to fill in the lake and residents were forced to leave with compensation offers that some still protest against today. Rights groups say the development has affected more than 4,000 families.

“In the land-leasing agreement, the company cannot lease or sell the land to a third party,” Chan Soveth, senior officer for rights group Adhoc, said.

“Any company granted an economic land concession cannot hire another company to do the development for them. It is not according to the law.”

Shukaku partnered with Chinese company Erdos Hong Jun Investment in 2010 to form the property development firm Shukaku Erdos, which operated a sales office in Phnom Penh that closed in early 2012.

Its closure fuelled rumours that the development was under threat. Those rumours have continued despite Shukaku advertising for architects and engineers in 2012.

Not long after a decision by the World Bank in 2011 to suspend lending to Cambodia until the land disputes at Boeung Kak were resolved, the government issued a sub-decree granting 12.44 hectares to families with legal ownership remaining at the development.

Rights groups confirmed yesterday that there are still more than 40 families waiting for land titles.

The sale last week has also raised a different set of ownership concerns.

Sia Phearum, secretariat director at rights group the Housing Rights Task Force, said it was possible the land sold to HLH may have come from the area granted to villagers, as Lao Meng Khin’s name has also appeared on titles within that allotment.

“Whether Shukaku sold the land from the 12.44 hectares area mentioned in the subdecree, or [they are] selling part of their leased land from the government, they are breaching the law or the subdecree.”

Longtime activist and Boeung Kak community representative Tep Vanny was another concerned that Meng Khin held plots within the residents’ designated area.

“We asked the government for 12.44 hectares [of] land for the remaining families who were affected by the forced eviction. Lao Meng Khin is not one of the victims, he doesn’t deserve the right to own the . . . land from the 12.44 hectares area while more than 40 families are still have not been given titles.”

Vanny added that even if the land sold was not within the residential area, the company did not have the right to sell the land as it was being leased from the government.

Both HLH and Shukaku declined to comment yesterday, while Phnom Penh Municipality spokesman Long Dimanche said he was not aware of any sale agreement of land at Boeung Kak.

“I have not received any information about this. You should ask Shukaku,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Khmer New Year holidays postponed

    In an effort to halt Covid-19 infections in the Kingdom, Prime Minister Hun Sen has postponed the Khmer New Year holidays scheduled from April 13 to 16. While the people will not have their usual break, nor will there be any public celebrations or gatherings at pagodas,

  • No word on state of emergency

    The National Assembly (NA) said it will postpone all unnecessary meetings in line with guidance from the Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) amid the Covid-19 pandemic. However, it did not say when or how it will debate the “state of emergency”

  • State of emergency draft law set for NA

    A draft law aiming to place the Kingdom in a state of emergency amid the Covid-19 pandemic is set for a debate at the National Assembly (NA) after going through the Council of Ministers’ Standing Committee meeting led by Prime Minister Hun Sen on Tuesday.

  • NA, Senate set for bill on ‘emergency’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has requested the Senate to convene an extraordinary meeting to review the draft law that aims to put the Kingdom in a state of emergency after the bill reached the National Assembly (NA) on Friday. The draft law, which was approved

  • Tourists can now prolong their stay

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation said tourists holding Visa T and arriving in the Kingdom after January 1 will be allowed to prolong their stay until they are able to return home. The decision comes as Cambodia and most countries take measures to

  • Hun Sen, ministers, officials donate salaries in virus fight

    Prime Minister Hun Sen and other senior government officials have decided to donate their salaries to the National Committee for Combating Covid-19 in support of the ongoing battle against the coronavirus. Hun Sen announced in an April 1 letter that because the Covid-19 situation in Cambodia