Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Questions remain in City Hall plan for free buses to province

Questions remain in City Hall plan for free buses to province

Buses donated from China sit in a row before beginning their service as municipal transport last year. Phnom Penh City Hall has released a schedule for 60 buses to ferry people to the provinces over Khmer New Year, free of charge. Photo supplied
Buses donated from China sit in a row before beginning their service as municipal transport last year. Phnom Penh City Hall has released a schedule for 60 buses to ferry people to the provinces over Khmer New Year, free of charge. Photo supplied

Questions remain in City Hall plan for free buses to province

Phnom Penh City Hall has issued a schedule for the 60 buses that will drive people to several provinces for Khmer New Year, confirming the government has no plan to issue tickets but instead will rely on a first-come, first-serve system to allocate seats.

Starting on Thursday and running through April 18, the municipality will assign 10 buses each to national roads 1, 3, 4, and 6, while National Road 5 will get 20 buses, according to municipal spokesman Met Measpheakdey.

The buses will offer free rides and will open their doors at their respective departure points at 5am, he said, adding that once a bus – capable of holding 40 or 50 people – was full, it would leave.

When asked if he was concerned that high demand would cause unruly crowds, injuries from crushing or other potential safety concerns, Measpheakdey said it would not be a problem, and declined to give details of how the system was being organised.

“It will be crowded, but good manners and security will be ensured,” he said. When asked for details about crowd control – for example, if the ministry planned to arrange queues to ensure orderly boarding – the spokesman said, “I cannot explain to you in detail.”

The buses will leave from various points on the outskirts of Phnom Penh and will stop at the provincial halls of each province they drive through, according to Measpheakdey.

“We set up the buses based on demand and distance,” he said yesterday. “If the distance is not far, we can provide two or three trips a day.”

The original bus plan floated by Prime Minister Hun Sen earlier this month only included national roads 1 and 5, but the premier added three additional national roads in a Facebook post several days later.

The decision to pilot a free bus service came after years of the prime minister urging transportation companies to not hike prices during the popular travel season, which the premier noted was not very effective.

Departure locations are set to be as follows: near the Mercedes dealership on Hun Sen Boulevard for National Road 1; near the Chaom Chao roundabout for National Road 3; at the intersection of Kob Srov and the national road for National Road 4; near the new Freedom Park in Russey Keo for National Road 5; and close to the roundabout across the Chroy Changvar bridge, near the Chroy Changvar Satellite City for National Road 6.

MOST VIEWED

  • Hong Kong firm done buying Coke Cambodia

    Swire Coca-Cola Ltd, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Hong Kong-listed Swire Pacific Ltd, on November 25 announced that it had completed the acquisition of The Coca-Cola Co’s bottling business in Cambodia, as part of its ambitions to expand into the Southeast Asian market. Swire Coca-Cola affirmed

  • Cambodia's Bokator now officially in World Heritage List

    UNESCO has officially inscribed Cambodia’s “Kun Lbokator”, commonly known as Bokator, on the World Heritage List, according to Minister of Culture and Fine Arts Phoeurng Sackona in her brief report to Prime Minister Hun Sen on the night of November 29. Her report, which was

  • NagaWorld union leader arrested at airport after Australia trip

    Chhim Sithar, head of the Labour Rights Supported Union of Khmer Employees at NagaWorld integrated casino resort, was arrested on November 26 at Phnom Penh International Airport and placed in pre-trial detention after returning from a 12-day trip to Australia. Phnom Penh Municipal Court Investigating Judge

  • Sub-Decree approves $30M for mine clearance

    The Cambodian government established the ‘Mine-Free Cambodia 2025 Foundation’, and released an initial budget of $30 million. Based on the progress of the foundation in 2023, 2024 and 2025, more funds will be added from the national budget and other sources. In a sub-decree signed by Prime Minister Hun Sen

  • Two senior GDP officials defect to CPP

    Two senior officials of the Grassroots Democratic Party (GDP) have asked to join the Cambodian People’s Party (CPP), after apparently failing to forge a political alliance in the run-up to the 2023 general election. Yang Saing Koma, chairman of the GDP board, and Lek Sothear,

  • 11th Chaktomuk Short Film Festival draws to close

    Cambodia's 11th Chaktomuk Short Film Festival wrapped up successfully on November 28 after a four-day run, with the film “Voice of the Night” awarded top prize for 2022. Sum Sithen, the organiser of the short film festival, told The Post that the number of attendees to the