Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Rice taskforce created, again

Rice taskforce created, again

Rice is harvested from a field using a small harvest machine in Tbong Khmum province earlier this year.
Rice is harvested from a field using a small harvest machine in Tbong Khmum province earlier this year. Heng Chivoan

Rice taskforce created, again

The Ministry of Commerce set up a new taskforce on Friday to address challenges faced by the Kingdom’s struggling rice industry and assess demands made by members of the Cambodia Rice Federation (CRF), who have decried the ineffectiveness of an earlier taskforce set up by the ministry.

Moul Sarith, CRF secretary, said the new taskforce will comprise 13 members from the Ministry of Commerce and 11 members from the CRF. The ad hoc working group will seek to address six separate points brought forward by CRF President Sok Puthyvuth during a meeting with Minister of Commerce Pan Sorasak on Friday.

One of the key demands by the CRF is to obtain shared responsibility with the Minister of Commerce to attribute Certificate of Origin status to rice exporters.

“We want the right to check and approve the certificate of origin of any rice exporter in order to strengthen and control rice quality and prevent false product labelling,” Sarith said. “And as we are working to promote the rice sector, we wish to have a substantial role in the interactions that take place between the Chinese rice association and Cambodia.”

Former minister of commerce Sun Chantol created the first taskforce last March to study threats to the sustainability of the country’s rice industry. Its goals at the time were to formulate urgent measures aimed at stemming the flood of illegal rice imports and facilitating the offer of $20-$30 million in soft loans to struggling rice millers.

However, the new taskforce will not replace the previous one, but rather address separate issues, according to Ministry of Commerce spokesperson Soeng Sophary.

“The work of the new taskforce is to address the six points raised by the CRF and it will only exist temporarily to resolve these new emergencies,” she said. “The previous taskforce was created to solve the issues faced by the sector as a whole and will continue working as normal.”

Tang Chhong Ngy, marketing manager of rice miller LBN Angkor (Kampuchea), said the first taskforce had been highly ineffective and the second working group was created after the same issues were raised again by the CRF.

“We saw many procedures at the national level but none that actually went into operation,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • School reopening to be postponed until November

    Minister of Education Hang Chuon Naron on Tuesday wrote to Prime Minister Hun Sen requesting a delay of school reopening across the Kingdom until November, when the new academic year begins. In his letter, Chuon Naron said the postponement is warranted to avoid the new

  • Foreigners in Kingdom must now register in FPCS system

    The Ministry of Interior’s General Department of Immigration (GDI) announced that it would not grant visa extensions to foreigners staying in Cambodia if their names are not listed on the Foreigners Present in Cambodia System (FPCS) by July 1. Foreign nationals can register in the

  • Covid-19 at ‘alarming rate’, health ministry says

    The Covid-19 risk level for individual transmission is at an “alarming rate” in the Kingdom and its probability is “not low”, warned Health Ministry spokesperson Or Vandine. “Cambodia’s coronavirus scenario is classified as being at an early stage of the pandemic because of ongoing

  • Mandatory quarantine for 30,000 workers begins

    Some of the roughly 30,000 workers from factories and enterprises across the Kingdom who went on leave during Khmer New Year began their government-imposed 14-day quarantine on Monday. Speaking at a press conference while visiting workers at the Phnom Penh Special Economic Zone on Monday, Ministry

  • Unemployed to get $40 per month

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training has instructed enterprises, business owners and travel agencies in five provinces to prepare the proper forms for the suspension of employment contracts. This, it said, will make it easier for the ministry to transfer $40 a month to workers

  • Gov’t travel ban flouted

    While the majority of Cambodians have paid heed to Prime Minister Hun Sen’s order to stay put and not travel during the Khmer New Year – the holidays of which were also postponed – several hundred have left Phnom Penh nonetheless. They have allegedly breached provincial

  • G20 energy ministers struggle to finalise oil output cuts

    Top oil producers struggled to finalise production cuts during a virtual summit held by Group of 20 (G20) energy ministers on Friday, despite US President Donald Trump’s mediation efforts to end a standoff with Mexico. The final G20 communique appeared to gloss over simmering divisions

  • Kingdom revises travel restriction order

    The government on Friday eased the district and provincial border restrictions issued on Thursday. People are now allowed to cross districts within their provinces. Phnom Penh and Kandal province are to be treated as a single region where people are allowed to travel freely. In

  • Private schools struggling

    The Cambodian Higher Education Association has claimed that 113 private educational establishments are facing bankruptcy because of their inability to pay rent and staff salaries in light of nationwide school closures caused by the Covid-19 outbreak. It said the financial trouble started when the Ministry of

  • Khmer New Year holidays postponed

    In an effort to halt Covid-19 infections in the Kingdom, Prime Minister Hun Sen has postponed the Khmer New Year holidays scheduled from April 13 to 16. While the people will not have their usual break, nor will there be any public celebrations or gatherings at pagodas,