Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Royal Group fires back in dispute over dock at Otres

Royal Group fires back in dispute over dock at Otres

Royal Group fires back in dispute over dock at Otres

Cambodian tycoon Kith Meng’s Royal Group issued a statement yesterday claiming to have the requisite approval from the former provincial governor of Preah Sihanouk province to build a port along Otres Beach to facilitate their development activities on Koh Rong island.

The statement, accompanied by two letters of approval, states that construction of the port – which was ordered stopped on Thursday by a government committee – was legal and in no way impacted any “national interests or people.”

One of the letters, dated July 24, 2014, and signed by former provincial governor Chhuth Sokhom, gave the group the go-ahead to construct the port but also instructed the Royal Group to conduct a study on its environmental impact with relevant ministries.

While the letter does not specify the location of the proposed port, Khin Remy, an assistant to Kith Meng, yesterday said they had permission to build in the current location and that construction has been ongoing for a “long time”.

“Construction was approved along Otres Beach and has been proceeding since the former governor’s tenure,” he said.

However, Remy did not comment on what steps the group will take in response to the government’s directive, only adding that it seemed to be a misunderstanding with the new governor and the national committee.

Sihanoukville city governor Y Sokleng said the former governor had only given in-principle approval for conducting the study and not for construction of the port.

“I know that the former governor only gave approval for conducting the study, but not for construction of the port” he said. He added that Otres Beach was being used as a model beach to promote and develop Cambodia’s coastal areas and that no construction would be allowed on it.

Preah Sihanouk governor Yun Min yesterday declined to comment on the approval purportedly given by his predecessor.

MOST VIEWED

  • US imposes sanctions on Oknha Pheap and Kun Kim

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation expressed strong dismay on Monday over the designation of Cambodian tycoon Oknha Try Pheap and General Kun Kim under the US’ Global Magnitsky Act. “It is very disturbing when the public figures of a country become the

  • Mother, daughter killed in hotel fire

    The bodies of a mother and daughter were found locked in an embrace after they were killed in a hotel fire in Phnom Penh at around 3:30am on Wednesday at the Phkar Chhouk Tep 2 Hotel and Restaurant in Phsar Doeum Kor commune, in the capital’

  • EBA withdrawal a destruction of EU achievements, PM says

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said the EU’s possible suspension of its Everything But Arms (EBA) agreement amounted to a destruction of its achievements in the Kingdom and the demise of the opposition group. Hun Sen made the remarks while addressing more than 6,700 students during

  • Rights Day forum denied in Sihanoukville

    The Preah Sihanouk provincial administration last Saturday denied the request of land communities for a public location in the province to celebrate International Human Rights Day 2019 as the administration had already held forums to discuss land issues. However, the land community representatives said they would

  • Kingdom calls on Japan to increase number of direct flights to Siem Reap, Phnom Penh

    Cambodia is requesting Japan to increase the number of direct flights from Japanese cities and provinces to Phnom Penh and Siem Reap, so as to contribute to increasing cooperation and tourist numbers between the two countries. During the opening ceremony of 3rd Japan Travel Fair

  • US told to refrain from interfering in Sokha case

    Senior Cambodian officials said on Thursday that the US can monitor Kem Sokha’s trial as it wishes but would not be allowed to interfere in court procedures. The point was made in response to US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo’s comments on Wednesday