Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Sesan dam to proceed this year

Sesan dam to proceed this year

Sesan dam to proceed this year

CAMBODIA’S Royal Group announced yesterday that it would proceed with its Vietnamese partner on a US$700 million hydroelectric plant along the Lower Sesan River, with construction due to start by the end of the year.

The 400 megawatt Sesan hydro plant will be located 40 kilometres northwest of the town of Stung Treng and is expected to enter commercial operations in 2017, a Royal Group statement said.

“This power generation project will contribute greatly to the continued economic development of Cambodia, ensuring a reliable, moderately-priced supply of electricity,” said Royal Group Kith Meng in the statement.

The joint venture – called the Cambodia-Vietnam Hydropower Company - is 51 percent owned by EVNI Joint Stock Company of Vietnam, with the remainder held by Royal Group, officials said earlier this year. The venture was officially established yesterday at the 2nd Cambodia-Vietnam Conference on Investment Promotion at Phnom Penh’s Peace Palace, where a number of deals were signed.

Negotiations for the supply of electricity are presently underway, Kith Meng said yesterday, adding they were “about 90 percent finished already.”

Royal Group said in the statement that project studies are complete.

The impact of large-scale hydroelectricity projects has been a contentious issues in the Kingdom.

Chith Sam Ath, Executive Director of NGO Forum, urged the joint venture to learn from what he saw as the problems caused by other dams. One in particular, the Yali Falls Damn in Vietnam, “created a lot of negative impact for the people who live downstream,” he said.

Kith Meng declined to discuss the venture's environmental impact assessment yesterday and referred questions to government officials.

Officials from the Environment Ministry declined comment yesterday. EVNI had valued the cost of the project at $806 million in a 2010  statement on its website. ADDITIONAL REPORTING SEN DAVID

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Courts’ decisions now published as reference source

    The Ministry of Justice has published 44 verdicts from civil litigation cases which can be used as models for court precedents and for study by the public and those who work in pertinent fields. Publication of the verdicts on December 31 came as the result of joint

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • China firm to develop Mondulkiri airport

    Tourism to the Kingdom’s northeast corridor could experience a remarkable metamorphosis after the government decided in principle of a Chinese company to study and develop a proposal to build a regional-level airport in Mondulkiri province, according to industry insiders. The Council of Ministers said