Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Siem Reap Airways still blacklisted

Siem Reap Airways still blacklisted

Siem Reap Airways still blacklisted

EU keeps Cambodian airline on its list of banned carriers despite assurances that it was never a safety concern, as Siem Reap Airways works with the State Secretariat of Civil Aviation in bid to have European Union decision overturned.

THE European Union says it has kept Siem Reap Airways on a blacklist that prevents airlines from landing at its airfields or flying into EU airspace.

In a statement released late Tuesday, the EU did not explain its decision to maintain its ban on the Cambodian airline - a ruling it first enacted in November - but said that any barred airline that felt it had later conformed with necessary safety standards "may request the commission to commence the procedure for its removal from the list".

The State Secretariat of Civil Aviation (SSCA) said Wednesday that a team led by Director General Chea On was currently in place collating "technical documents" to be submitted to the Montreal-based International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICOA) in a bid to have Siem Reap Airways removed from the blacklist.

"We will meet the standards of the ICOA," Mao Havannal, secretary of state for the SSCA said. "We will reopen [Siem Reap Airways]."

We will meet the standards of the ICOA.... We will reopen [Siem Reap Airways].

The EU initially blacklisted the airline on November 14 following an ICOA audit that found Cambodia's civil aviation operations wanting in a number of areas, particularly safety.
The SSCA has since been reluctant to discuss fundamental details of the audit that were not publicly released by the ICOA.

Chea On was unavailable for comment Wednesday.

In its original statement notifying the airline of the blockade, the European Commission said that "[Siem Reap Airways] does not operate in compliance with the Cambodian safety regulations, nor does it meet the standards of the International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO)".

It added: "Significant concerns have also been expressed by ICAO with regard to the ability of the Cambodian civil aviation authorities to implement and enforce the international safety standards."

However, the airline maintains it was in full compliance, a position it reiterated on Wednesday.

"Siem Reap Airways has never had a safety issue," new CEO and Managing Director Terence Alton told the Post, adding that the issue was between the SSCA and the ICAO and EU, not with the airline specifically.

Given that Siem Reap Airways was the only Cambodian airline operating at the time, it was the only one affected, he said.

Following the EU blacklist, the airline last year posted a notice on its Web site saying that all domestic flights were to be suspended from November 22 and all international flights from December 1. The airline hasn't flown since.

Bangkok Airways - which runs Siem Reap Airways as a subsidiary - flew in its place on previous routes between Bangkok, Phnom Penh and Siem Reap.

The airline had never flown into European airspace, but Alton said that its reputation following the EU blacklist had been tarnished, not least because many travellers to Cambodia are from Europe.

"If a perception is generated that an airline is unsafe, from a business point of view, you're throwing money away," he said.

Airline still confident
Alton added that he remained "confident of fulfilling every requirement" of both the SSCA and ICAO as Siem Reap Airways worked with the authorities in a bid to lift the blacklisting, admitting that his staff currently had very little to do given that the airline was still grounded.

It was not immediately clear, however, how Cambodia's blacklisting might affect the forthcoming launch of Cambodia's latest national carrier - Cambodia Angkor Air - on July 27.

MOST VIEWED

  • US to ramp up sanctions after ‘flawed’ national polls

    At a press conference on Wednesday, the US State Department announced that it would expand visa sanctions on the Cambodian officials and individuals it deems responsible for “undermining democracy” in Cambodia. At the briefing, spokesperson Heather Nauert reiterated that the department regarded the July 29 elections

  • Final poll results confirm first single-party Assembly

    IN an unprecedented situation in Cambodian politics, the official results of the July 29 national elections have declared that the Cambodian People’s Party (CPP) will take all 125 seats in the National Assembly on the back of it receiving 76 per cent of the votes. The National

  • PM's Bodyguard commander hits back at US

    The commander of Prime Minister Hun Sen’s Bodyguard Unit (BGU) Hing Bun Heang on Sunday dismissed a short video clip that went viral on social media in which he says he is preparing for a war with the United States over its aggressiveness towards

  • Chinese influence to sweep Kingdom?

    Growing Cambodia-China ties have seen the latter’s influence sweep across the Kingdom through increased investments and tourism. The Asian giant has become the leading source of foreign funds in Cambodia, fuelling the construction sector with huge casino and hotel projects. Much of the growth