Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Sihanoukville tourism First half of 2018 sees 1.3M visitors

Sihanoukville tourism First half of 2018 sees 1.3M visitors

Content image - Phnom Penh Post

Sihanoukville tourism First half of 2018 sees 1.3M visitors

The Preah Sihanouk provincial Department of Tourism says Preah Sihanouk province received more than 1.3 million tourists during the first semester of this year.

Of this, over one million were domestic tourists and 290,782 foreign, with Chinese accounting for 84,664 – up 10.12 per cent compared to the same period last year.

However, the beaches in the province – once regarded as some of the world’s most beautiful – have been littered by ongoing development projects in recent years.

A significant influx of Chinese tourists and investors to Sihanoukville has left it rife with construction sites, bringing with it consequences that could leave a negative impact on the tourism industry as a whole.

To address this, Minister of Tourism Thong Khon met provincial authorities and other stakeholders on Monday to explore ways to address some of the challenges facing tourism development in the province.

Khon said the challenges in Sihanoukville, including security, environment, infrastructure, and tourism services management, have eroded the area’s popularity.

Khon has told the authorities to manage trash effectively and prevent dirty water from flowing into the sea.

Recently, private companies were caught filling Praek Treng beach, causing public outrage. After criticism, the government ordered the authorities to remove the landfill.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year