Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Sino-US ‘phase one’ trade deal a mixed success for Donald Trump

Sino-US ‘phase one’ trade deal a mixed success for Donald Trump

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Chinese Vice-Premier Liu He (left), pictured with US President Donald Trump last year, is expected at the White House on Wednesday for the signing of a ‘phase one’ trade deal between the two economic powers. AFP

Sino-US ‘phase one’ trade deal a mixed success for Donald Trump

US President Donald Trump is set to sign a trade deal with China on Wednesday that he will trumpet as a major victory, but it comes at a steep cost after a bitter two-year standoff between the world’s two top economic powers.

“The hard issues between the United States and China are still outstanding,” said Edward Alden, trade policy expert at the Council on Foreign Relations.

But he acknowledged that “politically, this does work pretty well for Trump” as he runs for re-election next year.

The White House can boast it has been “tough on China”, and that “technically he’s got a deal”, something he promised voters in 2016, Alden said.

At the very least, the truce has reassured markets, roiled by constant upheaval in 2018 and last year amid threats, counter-threats and waves of tariffs.

The current truce also could help Trump on the campaign trail by giving the US economy a boost.

As uncertainty eases, consumers would have greater reason to spend with confidence, and businesses might also move forward with investments that were put on hold over fears about how the conflict would play out.

Trump announced to great fanfare on New Year’s Eve that he would sign the “phase one” deal on January 15 in the White House.

‘Wonderful ceremony’

But it was not until Thursday that the Chinese Ministry of Commerce confirmed the visit of Vice-Premier Liu He, who will be in Washington from Monday to Wednesday.

Details of the scope of the agreement have remained a mystery, however.

“The whole document will be released on Wednesday,” Larry Kudlow, director of the National Economic Council, told reporters on Friday.

There will be “a lovely ceremony”, he added, preceded the night before by a formal dinner and followed by a lunch.

Kudlow dismissed criticism that the deal fell short of expectations, saying US negotiators won numerous concessions.

The White House has said the deal includes improvements on the technology transfers requirements that Beijing imposes on foreign companies, as well as better access to the Chinese market for financial services.

It also stipulates that Beijing will buy an additional $200 billion in US products over a two-year period compared to 2017, including $50 billion in agricultural goods.

In return, the Trump administration has called off new tariffs on Chinese-made goods like electronics and mobile phones that were due to take effect last month, and cut in half those imposed on September 1 on $120 billion in products.

But many tariffs remain in place, and the trade war has squeezed US businesses.

The deal is a “mixed success” and comes at a price, said Eswar Prasad, a professor of trade policy at Cornell University and an expert on China.

“Trump has extracted some concessions from China and other US trading partners but at a significant cost to the US economy and with an erosion of the US’ international standing as a trustworthy and reliable trading partner.”

The Chinese economy has slowed markedly, partly as a result of the trade war, but US manufacturing and farmers also have suffered.

To mitigate losses in the agricultural sector, the Trump administration had to provide a total of $28 billion in aid to farmers in 2018 and last year.

And US manufacturing entered a recession in August.

“There’s been significant harm to American farmers and significant harm to the US manufacturing industry and the new purchase commitments by China are unlikely to undo that damage,” Alden said.

One of Trump’s main goals for launching the trade war was to reduce the US trade deficit and put an end to unfair trade practices, but trade experts doubt Washington can achieve significant structural changes from Beijing.

Prasad said China is unlikely to yield on key demands from the Trump administration, such as substantially reducing state subsidies to companies.

Xu Bin, professor of economics and finance at the China Europe International Business School in Shanghai, said the two sides can declare they have an agreement “that will be acceptable, [but] not a victory”.

“I think essentially the fight between China and the US will continue as far as we can see, over the next few years, next 10 years, next 20 years, even further,” veering between conflicts and truce.

MOST VIEWED

  • All inbound flights set to face added scrutiny

    Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said on Monday that the ministry is monitoring all inbound flights, after it was announced that only those from Malaysia and Indonesia will be temporarily cancelled from August 1. Vandine said on Monday that the two countries were identified as

  • Flights from Indonesia, Malaysia cancelled

    A Ministry of Health official has warned of the possibility of Covid-19 spreading through community transmission after the total infected cases in the Kingdom rose to 225. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine told reporters on Saturday that the possibility of community transmission cannot be overlooked and that

  • Man in quarantine dies of ‘overdose’

    The Ministry of Health on Thursday said a Cambodian migrant worker who died while being isolated at a quarantine centre in Tbong Khmum province’s Kroch Chhmar district may have died from syncope or overdose of tablets. In a statement, the ministry said the 21-year-old

  • Ministry set to reopen 20 schools in August

    The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport will allow 20 high-safety-standards schools to reopen next month despite new cases of Covid-19 in the country. Ministry spokesperson Ros Soveacha wrote in a Telegram message on Wednesday that the schools are in Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Battambang.