Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Telecoms given more time to pay into funds

Telecoms given more time to pay into funds

The exterior of the Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications.
The exterior of the Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications. Moeun Nhean

Telecoms given more time to pay into funds

The Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications has extended the deadline for telecoms to make mandatory contributions to a pair of funds by a month after a large percentage of the companies did not pay, according to one fund’s manager.

The 2016 Telecom Law and subsequent sub-decrees set up the two funds – Capacity Building, Research and Development Fund (CBRD) and Universal Service Obligation Fund (USOF) – which have the broad purpose of promoting the development of infrastructure and services in rural areas, where companies might not otherwise invest, as well as promoting research and fostering new talent in the industry.

Telecom companies are forced to pay a percentage of their annual revenue into the funds each year.

Tol Gnak, who oversees the USOF, said yesterday that the original deadline of February 28 was postponed until the end of March, as many operators were negotiating with the ministry to fulfill their obligation in installments due to cash flow issues.

Gnak and the manager of the CBRD held a press conference early last month, during which they said only one-third of telecom companies had paid so far, putting the total amount contributed at $4.2 million out of an expected $17 million.

A single telecom, Smart Axiata, reported paying $3.5 million at the time, making it likely that fellow telecom giants Cellcard and Metfone had not paid their full amounts.

Gnak declined to give the amount of money currently in the funds, only noting it was higher than a month ago. He also declined to name which organisations had or had not paid their fees.

MOST VIEWED

  • Reports: Rainsy barred from Jakarta flight

    Sam Rainsy was on Wednesday refused entry to a flight from Malaysia to Indonesia, media reported late on Wednesday. The “acting president” of the Supreme Court-dissolved Cambodia National Rescue Party’s announced return to the Kingdom on Independence Day on Saturday failed to occur. Rainsy

  • Government studying EU’s preliminary report on EBA

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation on Wednesday said the government was studying the EU Commission’s preliminary report on the human rights situation in the Kingdom that could lead to a suspension of access to its “Everything But Arms” (EBA) agreement. The

  • Gov’t: Rainsy’s ‘coup plot’ a failure

    The government on Wednesday commended the Kingdom’s security forces for thwarting the attempted “coup plot” by former opposition leader Sam Rainsy through his announced return to Cambodia on November 9. The comments came as Rainsy, the “acting president” of the Supreme Court-dissolved Cambodia National Rescue

  • Rainsy blocked from boarding flight to Jakarta

    Sam Rainsy was on Wednesday refused entry to a flight from Malaysia to Indonesia, media reported late on Wednesday. The "acting president" of the Cambodia National Rescue Party's announced return to the Kingdom on Independence Day on Saturday failed to occur. Rainsy arrived in Kuala

  • Tour guides question animal release ban in Angkor moat

    The Khmer Angkor Tour Guide Association (Katga) called on the Apsara National Authority to reconsider its decision banning all animals from being released into the moat surrounding the Angkor Wat temple after the authority prohibited the action for the sake of visitors’ safety. An Apsara

  • Kingdom to import 200MW from Lao hydropower plant

    Cambodia plans to import 200MW of electricity from Laos’ Don Sahong hydropower plant early next year to curb power shortages this coming dry season, with the transmission line network scheduled for completion later this year, Ministry of Mines and Energy spokesman Victor Jona said. Jona,