Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Tesla names board director to replace Musk amid controversy

Tesla names board director to replace Musk amid controversy

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Elon Musk speaks at a press conference at SpaceX headquarters where he announced the Japanese billionaire chosen by the company to fly around the moon, on September 17 in Hawthorne, California. MARIO TAMA/GETTY IMAGES/AFP

Tesla names board director to replace Musk amid controversy

ELectric car pioneer Tesla on Thursday named an Australian telecoms executive to chair its board of directors, after the controversial Elon Musk was forced by US authorities to step back from the role.

The appointment of Robyn Denholm, chief financial officer with Telstra and already a Tesla board member, is effective immediately but she will serve out her six-month notice period with the Australian company, Tesla said in a statement.

Musk had to resign as Tesla chairman under a September arrangement with US regulators to settle fraud charges stemming from a tweet in which he said he planned to take the firm private and had financing to do it.

Under that settlement he and Tesla each had to pay a $20 million fine but Musk was allowed to stay on as chief executive.

He will help ease the 55-year-old Denholm’s transition, Tesla said.

“To ensure a smooth transition during the remainder of Robyn’s time at Telstra, Elon will be a resource to her and provide any support that she requests in her role as chair,” the electric car maker said.

Musk praised Denholm’s input in her time on Tesla’s board.

“Robyn has extensive experience in both the tech and auto industries, and she has made significant contributions as a Tesla board member over the past four years in helping us become a profitable company,” he said in the Tesla statement.

“I look forward to working even more closely with Robyn as we continue accelerating the advent of sustainable energy,” Musk added.

Denholm said: “I believe in this company, I believe in its mission and I look forward to helping Elon and the Tesla team achieve sustainable profitability and drive long-term shareholder value.”

Musk was forced to resign as chairman after the US Securities and Exchange Commission charged him with securities fraud, alleging that he misled investors when he tweeted on August 7 that he had “funding secured” to delist Tesla at $420 a share, a substantial premium over its share price at the time.

‘Subject of controversy’

The tweet was one of a number of issues that raised questions about the billionaire entrepreneur’s aptness to lead Tesla.

Days after settling with the SEC, Musk mocked the agency, in another tweet that labelled the agency the “Shortseller Enrichment Commission”.

That alluded to shortsellers, investors who have bet that Tesla shares will fall and who are frequently the subject of Musk’s derision.

The tycoon was the subject of controversy when he smoked a joint during a September podcast interview in California and discussed the end of the universe.

Denholm has been chief financial officer and head of strategy at Telstra, Australia’s former telephone monopoly, since the start of October.

For 18 months prior to that she was Telstra’s chief operations officer, and previously held senior roles at networking equipment company Juniper Networks.

Telstra chief executive Andy Penn said: “We are sorry to see Robyn leave Telstra. We know that it has become increasingly difficult to balance her responsibilities as Telstra CFO with the increased activity of the Tesla board.”

In premarket trade on the Nasdaq exchange on Thursday, Tesla’s share price was up 0.24 per cent at $349.00.

On October 24, Tesla reported a “historic” profitable quarter driven by demand for its Model 3 car aimed at the mass market. But the company remains burdened by billions in debt.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Businesses in capital told to get travel permit amid lockdown through One Window Service

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has issued guidelines on how to get travel permission for priority groups during the lockdown of Phnom Penh, directing private institutions to apply through the municipality's One Window Service and limit their staff to a mere two per cent. In

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and