Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Thousands expected to visit Kep sea festival

Thousands expected to visit Kep sea festival

Thousands expected to visit Kep sea festival

At least 20,000 tourists and travellers will participate in the so-called “sea festival” at the end of this year, officials at the Kep province tourism department said.

The two-day event, which started in 2011 as a tourism booster for the country’s coasts and beaches, was cancelled last year due to the death of the late King Father Norodom Sihanouk in October.

Som Chenda, director of the Kep province tourism department, said the government decided to hold the festival on December 7 and 8 in Kep, and it will include sporting activities, a trade fair, fashion shows and concerts.

The first sea festival, held in Preah Sihanouk province in 2011, attracted thousands of tourists. This year, however, accommodation might pose a problem.

“We have experience from Sihanoukville province, which has a lot of hotels and guesthouses but still faced a shortage of accommodations during this event,” he said. “Kep province has less than Sihanoukville and will definitely feel the shortages a lot.”

Chenda said one way officials might deal with the tight squeeze is to market the use of hotels in nearby Kampot or Preah Sihanouk, a little more than an hour’s drive away from Kep.

Uy Vunly, owner of the 13-room Champey Sar guesthouse in Kep, is betting on an increase in visitors over the festival weekend.

Chenda said that at the same time of the sea festival, Cambodia will also host the meeting of the general assembly of the Most Beautiful Bay, a club headquartered in Paris that promotes beach destinations in 30 countries.

The whole Cambodian coastline was recognised as a member of the club on May 26, 2011.

Minister of Tourism Thong Khon said in May that ministers from all over the world will attend the meeting of the general assembly.

“It’s a new opportunity to promote our beaches on an international stage.”

The number of tourist arrivals increased by about 19 per cent in the first half of this year, reaching over two million tourists at the end of June, data from the Ministry of Tourism show.

MOST VIEWED

  • Purging Sihanoukville’s past with a new masterplan

    Amid illicit activities, haphazard development and abandoned projects, the coastal city of Sihanouk province needs a reset to move forward. A new masterplan might be the answer to shake off its seemingly mucky image to become the Shenzhen of the south Gun toting, shootouts, police

  • Chinese may be first in tourism revival: PM

    Cambodia's tourism industry is gearing up to roll out the red carpet for Chinese travellers after Prime Minister Hun Sen on September 17 indicated that the Kingdom could soon throw open its doors to international holidaymakers vaccinated against Covid-19 – starting with guests from China. Cambodia Chinese

  • 'Pursue your goals, reach out to me': Young diplomat tapped as envoy to South Korea

    Chring Botum Rangsay was a secretary of state at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation before being designated as the new Cambodian ambassador to South Korea. According to her official CV published on the foreign ministry’s website, she started her first government

  • Tourism concerns laid bare

    To ensure the success of plans to reopen the tourism market for international visitors, Cambodia must pay utmost attention to two primary determinants – the ongoing paradigm shift in domestic tourism services towards the ‘new normal’, and the factors influencing choices of destinations among foreign holidaymakers.

  • Covid jab drive for 6-11 age group to begin Sept 17

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has permitted Covid-19 vaccinations for over 1.8 million children aged 6-11 across the country from September 17 in order for them to return to school after a long hiatus. Hun Sen also hinted that vaccinations for the 3-6 age group will follow in

  • No ‘Crown Prince’ exists to buy France football club: ministry

    The Ministry of the Royal Palace has denied media reports that a Cambodian “Crown Prince” had purchased the AS Saint Etienne football club of France’s top-flight LIGUE 1 at the cost of €100 million ($117 million). In a press statement on September 19, the ministry stressed that Cambodia