Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Three new airlines set to launch this year in Cambodia

Three new airlines set to launch this year in Cambodia

Passengers board a flight to Phnom Penh from Siem Reap International Airport last year.
Passengers board a flight to Phnom Penh from Siem Reap International Airport last year. Scott Howes

Three new airlines set to launch this year in Cambodia

Cambodia looks set to add three new airlines this year to bring the total number of operating carriers to 10, an unsustainable number in the long term, according to research released today by the Centre for Asia Pacific Aviation (CAPA).

Cambodia Airways, China-backed KC International Airline and Thai-backed Air Siem Reap plan to enter the market. All three companies are in the process of applying for their air operating certificates in Cambodia.

Cambodia’s aviation sector has seen rapid growth in recent years, going from two airlines flying seven planes in 2013 to its current fleet of seven airlines flying 30 planes. CAPA predicts there will be 45 planes by the end of the year.

“Cambodia’s fleet will continue to expand rapidly over the next few years as passenger traffic grows rapidly, driven to a large extent by inbound demand from China,” the report says.

But given Cambodia’s relatively small market, the report also warns that “it is hard to imagine a market the size of Cambodia supporting more than five airlines – let alone 10 – over the long run.”

Local outfits Sky Angkor Air and Cambodia Angkor Air still have the most planes operating in the country, but JC International, a China-backed airline that launched in March last year, "will likely have more capacity by the end of 2018 as it continues to expand its fleet rapidly," according to the report.

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Breaking: Rubbish found packed inside 83 containers at S'ville port

    Eighty-three containers packed with rubbish were broken open at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port by joint authorities on Tuesday. The origin of the containers has yet to be ascertained, Ministry of Environment spokesman Neth Pheaktra said. Pheaktra, who is also the ministry’s secretary of state, said

  • Some jobs off limits to foreigners from August

    Beginning from the second week of August, foreigners will be banned from driving taxis and tuk-tuks, as well as being motorcycle delivery drivers, street food vendors, hairdressers and product distributors among other lower-income jobs. Some white-collar jobs such as the head of human resources will