Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Ticket sales at Angkor Wat exceed 2 million

Ticket sales at Angkor Wat exceed 2 million

Ticket sales at Angkor Wat exceed 2 million

Official figures released yesterday showed that over 2 million tickets were sold to foreigners visiting the ruins of ancient Angkor last year, netting almost $60 million dollars. However, the data remains bitterly disputed by members of Cambodia’s opposition party.

Total income increased from $57.6 million in 2013 to $59.3 million last year, according to data from Apsara Authority, which manages Angkor.

But despite increasing revenues, some have argued the income does not reflect the “real” number of tourists entering the complex.

Siem Reap province received 5.02 million visitors last year, including 2.35 million foreign visitors.

However, according to the new figures, only 2.05 million bought tickets to tour Angkor.

Long Kosal, Apsara’s deputy director of the communication department, defended the accuracy of the figures.

“There are estimates that 5 million foreign tourists visited Angkor, or 3 million, but actually the exact number is only 2.05 million this year, a rise from 2.02 million in 2013,” he said referring to alternative figures given by opposition party lawmaker Son Chhhay last month.

The tourist arrival numbers in Siem Reap province is sourced from the provincial Tourism Department, he said, adding that the figures were vetted by experts from the Ministry of Economy and Finance.

But opposition Cambodia National Rescue Party lawmaker Yem Ponhearith said yesterday the revenue was lower than it should be.

“If we divide $59 million with 2.35 million visitors, then we see one visitor is only close to $30,” said Ponhearith.

Tourist passes to Angkor, which is free for Cambodians, are priced at $20 for one day, $40 for three, and $60 for a week.

“Foreign visitors come all the way to Siem Reap to see Angkor Wat and the tour cannot be completed in one day. They have to spend from 3 to 7 days to complete the touring,” he said.

Ponhearith urged Apsara and Sokimex to be more transparent.

“Apsara Authority should allow an independent team to count the number of foreign tourists along with the company and they should show the contract to the public,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia unveils new quarantine regulations

    The government has modified Covid-19 quarantine requirements, shortening the duration for, among others, Cambodian officials, foreign diplomats and delegations, investors and inbound travellers in general. According to an official notice signed by Minister of Health Mam Bun Heng late on October 16, quarantine length for Cambodian

  • Cambodia sets new Covid-19 quarantine rules

    The government has modified Covid-19 quarantine requirements, shortening the duration for, among others, Cambodian officials, foreign diplomats and delegations, investors and inbound travellers in general. According to an official notice signed by Minister of Health Mam Bun Heng late on October 16, quarantine length for Cambodian

  • Hun Sen: Cambodia set to fully reopen

    Prime Minister Hun Sen concludes that the October 5-7 Pchum Ben public holiday, during which many people either flocked to their hometowns for family reunion or gathered at tourist attractions across the country, has not caused an outbreak of Covid-19. In a special address to

  • Will Evergrande change the way Chinese developers do business in Cambodia?

    China’s property sector policy has exposed the grim financial condition of real estate developers including those operating in Cambodia, which raises questions over the viability of their projects and business going forward The dark blue netting draping over one of Yuetai Group Co Ltd’

  • Cambodia resumes issuance of tourist visas

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation has announced the resumption of its tourist visa and visa exemption programme after a long hiatus due to the Covid-19 pandemic. In a letter dated October 20 and addressed to foreign embassies and consulates, foreign minister Prak Sokhonn

  • S’ville set to turn into ‘second Shenzhen’

    The Ministry of Economy and Finance has awarded a master plan consultancy contract to top Chinese institute for the development and transformation of Preah Sihanouk province into a “Model Multi-Purpose Special Economic Zone”, Southeast Asia’s next logistics and resort hub and innovation centre. The