Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Tomato Bank finds a South Korean buyer

Tomato Bank finds a South Korean buyer

Tomato Bank finds a South Korean buyer

Tomato Specialized Bank, Cambodia’s smallest bank, has sold a majority stake to South Korea’s KB Kookmin Card Co for $10.8 million, the culmination of a long search for a buyer after its majority shareholder filed for bankruptcy in 2012.

The state-run Korea Deposit Insurance Corp (KDIC), which took over after risky investments in real estate bankrupted the bank’s previous owners in 2012, announced on Thursday it had sold the entirety of its stake in the bank. “KDIC has clearly done a good job cleaning up the bank, and it looks like they’ve got a price that is somewhere near book value,” said Stephen Higgins, managing partner at Mekong Strategic Partners.

“You would only buy this bank if you were planning on turning it into something else, as it is simply too small otherwise,” he added. KB Kookmin Card Co will take a 90 percent stake in the company, while Indochina Bank will hold the remaining 10 percent, according to South Korean news outlet Pulse.

A previous version of this article misstated the year that Tomato Bank's majority shareholder filed for bankruptcy.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia unveils new quarantine regulations

    The government has modified Covid-19 quarantine requirements, shortening the duration for, among others, Cambodian officials, foreign diplomats and delegations, investors and inbound travellers in general. According to an official notice signed by Minister of Health Mam Bun Heng late on October 16, quarantine length for Cambodian

  • Cambodia sets new Covid-19 quarantine rules

    The government has modified Covid-19 quarantine requirements, shortening the duration for, among others, Cambodian officials, foreign diplomats and delegations, investors and inbound travellers in general. According to an official notice signed by Minister of Health Mam Bun Heng late on October 16, quarantine length for Cambodian

  • Hun Sen: Cambodia set to fully reopen

    Prime Minister Hun Sen concludes that the October 5-7 Pchum Ben public holiday, during which many people either flocked to their hometowns for family reunion or gathered at tourist attractions across the country, has not caused an outbreak of Covid-19. In a special address to

  • Will Evergrande change the way Chinese developers do business in Cambodia?

    China’s property sector policy has exposed the grim financial condition of real estate developers including those operating in Cambodia, which raises questions over the viability of their projects and business going forward The dark blue netting draping over one of Yuetai Group Co Ltd’

  • Cambodia voted ‘world’s friendliest country’ in Rough Guides reader poll

    Cambodia ranked number one among the “World’s Friendliest Countries”, according to a reader poll conducted by London-based international website “Rough Guides”. Taking submissions through Twitter and Facebook, “Rough Guides”, a well-known travel agency and publisher of guidebooks, said the Kingdom “was by far the

  • S’ville set to turn into ‘second Shenzhen’

    The Ministry of Economy and Finance has awarded a master plan consultancy contract to top Chinese institute for the development and transformation of Preah Sihanouk province into a “Model Multi-Purpose Special Economic Zone”, Southeast Asia’s next logistics and resort hub and innovation centre. The