Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - UK firms appeal for Brexit deal as PM warns of likely failure

UK firms appeal for Brexit deal as PM warns of likely failure

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The UK will leave the EU’s single market on December 31. AFP

UK firms appeal for Brexit deal as PM warns of likely failure

UK businesses clamoured for compromise on December 13 as Prime Minister Boris Johnson said failure remains the “most likely” outcome to marathon post-Brexit trade talks with the EU.

“I’m afraid we’re still very far apart on some key things, but where there’s life there’s hope,” Johnson told reporters, after agreeing with EU commission chief Ursula von der Leyen to push on with negotiations.

The pair had said they would decide whether or not a deal was possible by the end of the weekend, but agreed in a phone call to “go the extra mile” before the UK leaves the EU’s single market on December 31.

“The UK certainly won’t be walking away from the talks. I still think there’s a deal to be done if our partners want to do it,” Johnson said at 10 Downing Street after briefing his cabinet about the call.

But Britain could not compromise on the “fundamental nature” of Brexit, controlling UK laws and fisheries, he said.

“The most likely thing now is of course we have to get ready for WTO terms,” Johnson added, referring to tariffs and quotas on the basic rules of trade set by the World Trade Organisation.

He said: “There is a clarity and a simplicity in that approach that has its own advantages. It’s not where we wanted to get to . . . but the UK is prepared.

“Either way, whatever happens, the UK will do very, very well.”

UK businesses welcomed the agreement to keep talking, but disagreed strongly with Johnson’s cheerful forecasts for Britain’s future if it severs all ties with its biggest overall trading partner from the New Year.

Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders CEO Mike Hawes tweeted: “We now need negotiators to finish the job and agree the deal we all so desperately need.

“’No deal’ would be nothing less than catastrophic for the automotive sector, its workers and their families, and represent a stunning failure of statecraft. Quite simply, it has to be ruled out.”

Nissan has warned that a no-deal Brexit would make its Sunderland car factory in northeast England, which employs more than 6,000 workers, unviable due to the restoration of tariffs on cross-Channel trade.

Last week, Japanese automaker Honda suspended production at its British plant for a day after suffering a shortfall in parts, owing to blockages at ports caused by the coronavirus pandemic and Brexit stockpiling.

Even with a trade deal, Britain will still be out of the EU’s common market and businesses will face new customs regulations and paperwork.

They warn the government has failed to get vital information technology (IT) systems ready in time, leading to fears of transport gridlock on roads and at ports.

Confederation of British Industry director-general Tony Danker said the news of talks continuing “gives hope”, but demanded the government fix the IT rollout and offer more support to businesses.

He said in a statement: “A deal is both essential and possible. It is the only way to build upon the extensive support for the economy given by all governments during the pandemic. Without it, that progress is undermined.”

The British Chambers of Commerce (BCC) appealed to London and Brussels not to give up.

BCC director-general Adam Marshall tweeted: “Even at this unbelievably late hour, the message from business to UK and EU leaders is still the same. Keep going. Get a deal done.”

But Johnson is under pressure from pro-Brexit hardliners in his Conservative party not to back down.

Tory member of Parliament John Redwood said: “A long complex legal agreement that locks the UK back into many features of the EU that hinder us is not the Christmas present the UK needs.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Hong Kong firm done buying Coke Cambodia

    Swire Coca-Cola Ltd, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Hong Kong-listed Swire Pacific Ltd, on November 25 announced that it had completed the acquisition of The Coca-Cola Co’s bottling business in Cambodia, as part of its ambitions to expand into the Southeast Asian market. Swire Coca-Cola affirmed

  • Cambodia's Bokator now officially in World Heritage List

    UNESCO has officially inscribed Cambodia’s “Kun Lbokator”, commonly known as Bokator, on the World Heritage List, according to Minister of Culture and Fine Arts Phoeurng Sackona in her brief report to Prime Minister Hun Sen on the night of November 29. Her report, which was

  • NagaWorld union leader arrested at airport after Australia trip

    Chhim Sithar, head of the Labour Rights Supported Union of Khmer Employees at NagaWorld integrated casino resort, was arrested on November 26 at Phnom Penh International Airport and placed in pre-trial detention after returning from a 12-day trip to Australia. Phnom Penh Municipal Court Investigating Judge

  • Sub-Decree approves $30M for mine clearance

    The Cambodian government established the ‘Mine-Free Cambodia 2025 Foundation’, and released an initial budget of $30 million. Based on the progress of the foundation in 2023, 2024 and 2025, more funds will be added from the national budget and other sources. In a sub-decree signed by Prime Minister Hun Sen

  • Two senior GDP officials defect to CPP

    Two senior officials of the Grassroots Democratic Party (GDP) have asked to join the Cambodian People’s Party (CPP), after apparently failing to forge a political alliance in the run-up to the 2023 general election. Yang Saing Koma, chairman of the GDP board, and Lek Sothear,

  • Cambodia's poverty cut in half from 2009 to 2019: World Bank report

    A report published by the World Bank on November 28 states that Cambodia’s national poverty rate fell by almost half between 2009 and 2019, but the Covid-19 pandemic recently reversed some of the poverty reduction progress. Cambodia’s poverty rate dropped from 33.8 to 17.8 per cent over the 10