Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Unused concessions hinder agriculture, companies say

Unused concessions hinder agriculture, companies say

Unused concessions hinder agriculture, companies say

110401_08
Workers pour freshly tapped rubber in Kampong Cham province earlier this week. While the agriculture sector is expanding, some say the government should act on unused concessions.

We think the government should have a mechanism to closely follow up in order to confiscate undeveloped land

The Ministry of Agriculture ought to hold meetings every two years with land concession owners to accelerate their investments or risk having the concessions revoked, according to Leng Rithy, Director of the Vietnamese Rubber Enterprise Federation in Cambodia.

Hundreds of firms have obtained government land concessions, but too few actually follow through with investing, he said yesterday.

“We hope the Ministry can evaluate progress on projects that have been granted government land concessions, and encourage the companies to complete them,” he said.

He added government officials should consider revoking land concessions from companies who did not use them.

Prominent agriculture businessman Mong Reththy said government representatives and companies with concessions do not have regularly scheduled meetings at present, which proves to be an obstacle in pushing  investment.

“I support the request, because I believe direct meetings can provide a positive resolution for all of us,” he said, adding he felt meetings could be held as often as quarterly rather than every two years.

From 1993 to 2009, the government provided concessions totalling 1,335,724 hectares to 126 companies to invest in agro-business. However, a Ministry report from last year states that development was actually taking place on 956,690 hectares by 85 companies.

Sam Rainsy Party lawmaker Son Chhay claimed that nearly half of concession holders were not developed by companies as required in their contracts.

“We think the government should have a mechanism to closely follow up in order to confiscate undeveloped land, to avoid losing national benefit,” he said.

Discussions with the Ministry of Agriculture would not be a concern for private companies that actually intend to invest, he said.

Regular meetings would provide information to the ministry, so it “can understand clearly what is going on, and decide whether the company can keep the land to develop, or should have concessions withdrawn.”

Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries Secretary of State Chan Tong Yves did not discuss plans to for meetings with private companies when contacted yesterday.

MOST VIEWED

  • Temi tourism project approved by the CDC

    The $500.4 million Tourism, Ecological, Marine and International (Temi) tourism project has been approved by the Council for the Development of Cambodia (CDC), according to a notice on its Facebook page on Monday. The project is part of Chinese-owned Union City Development Group Co Ltd’s (

  • Rainsy will return at ‘favourable time’

    Opposition figure Sam Rainsy on Saturday suggested he would not return to Cambodia as he had previously promised, saying that like liberators King Father Norodom Sihanouk and Charles de Gaulle, he would only do so at a “favourable time”. “I will go back to Cambodia

  • US Embassy urged to stop ‘disrespecting sovereignty’

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation called on the US Embassy in Phnom Penh on Saturday to respect the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations after it called former opposition leader Kem Sokha “an innocent man” – a move deemed to be “disrespecting Cambodia’s

  • NagaWorld casino sees net profit of more than $390M last year

    Phnom Penh’s NagaWorld casino posted a 53 per cent net profit increase last year at $390.6 million, a sum which is almost equal to the combined net profit of all Cambodian commercial banks in 2017. NagaWorld’s parent company, NagaCorp Ltd, is listed on the Hong Kong